I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loose hood on new rod
Posted by: Steve Dyczkiewycz (---.201.40.69.ip.alltel.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 09:54PM

Hello,

While doing a few casting tests, I noticed that the reel was rocking a bit, so of course I started cranking down the seat nut. In the process, I found the problem is a loose hood. Is there a way to remove/salvage the fore grip? And is there bullet proof way to secure the hood?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loose hood on new rod
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 10:59PM

I once built a casting rod and used a Fuji size 18 reel seat. It was the first ones that Fuji came out with that had a trigger on it. By todays standards it was an awkward looking thing. No matter how much I tightened the hood, the reel would still wobble. I took a small piece of leather and cut a piece to fit in front of the reel foot, shoved it into the reel seat hood and solved my problem. In other words, I overlapped the reel foot with the leather and tightened the hood nut.

Posted by: Gene Rehberg (---.an7.chi30.da.uu.net)
Date: September 02, 2005 12:40AM

Steve, I don't know of a way to save the fore cork, but you may be able to dribble some epoxy down into the front hood. If that doesn't work, take off the rear grip and replace the seat and a new rear grip. Good luck...................Gene

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: September 02, 2005 09:59AM

Mix a small amount of epoxy finish and put some on both ends of the loose hood, work the hood back and forth and even spin it all the way around if it will move that much, you want to get the epoxy under the hood as much as possible. When you have as much under the hood as you think you can get, clean excess epoxy off seat, aline the hood with the guides and let dry. Jesse

Date: September 02, 2005 01:36PM

Thanks for the tips everyone. I had to cut off the fore grip to re-glue the hood. It could have been worse as the guides were only held in place by elastic bands and I didn't do the but wrap yet. The inlays were salvaged so I had to shape another fore grip and glue everything back together.

Steve

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 02, 2005 02:04PM

Steve D. - Is it too late to totally remove this once-failed reel seat, ... or are you confident this glue-job will hold and that it won't fail later?

... Once you put on the guides, if the glue-job fails, you'll have to do an oblique cut-out thru a failed reel seat, or hope that a rear-approach from the butt cap works, losing the rear grip(s) and using a new-mount. Otherwise, you may wind up having to strip off the guides later anyway. ... I'm not trying to be pessimistic; I'm just trying to think another step or two further into the long-range scenario. LOL, -Cliff Hall+++

Date: September 02, 2005 05:51PM

Now you got me a bit concerned. The reel seat in question is a Rainshadow GS17C-GWG-G, which is a skeleton style I believe. The lock nut, insert and hood come separately and need to be glued to a graphite barrel of sorts. I'm thinking I didn't glue it well and that's why it came loose. Am I missing something here? Or isn't this the way skeleton seats work?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster