I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji TSG wrapping & finishing...?
Posted by: Nate Harris (---.lndnnh.adelphia.ne)
Date: September 01, 2005 05:42PM

Hi guys,

Got me a 9wt striper rod all built up and took her out for a test run this morning. Loved everything about her, except for one thing,... I messed up wrapping and finish the the TSG running guides!

Having never used these guides in the past, I fear that I may not have wrapped a little short of what was needed, and applied finish a little too far forward. Seems the part that kicked me was that little angled run that sits between the guide's foot and the guide's ring housing.

Appears that the epoxy that wicked up into that little gap (which, based off of my previous experience finishing standard wire style single footers, was believed desirable) is now seperating away from the blank once the rod or the guide is flexed.

Looks like I'm gonna have to cut them all off and rewrap and refinish... But I'm not sure how to not repeat the same result.

Would much appreciate it if someone could talk me through how far forward to wrap and finish this specific style of guide... A picture would be the cats the meow! But I'll take whatever help I can get!!! Caught my first striper ever today, and I'm dyin to get back out a do 'er again!!!

Thanks a million gang,

Nate H.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji TSG wrapping & finishing...?
Posted by: Rick Wilson (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2005 07:18PM

Nate,

I'm just about to sit down to wrap a similar rod tonite.

Did you use locking wraps ahead of the guide foot? Check out the library link above.

Hope this helps,
RW

Posted by: Nate Harris (---.lndnnh.adelphia.ne)
Date: September 01, 2005 07:34PM

Rick,

I have always used locking wraps on single foot wire guides in the past, but the angled portion of these ceramics makes it kinda awkward so I didn't use them this time... seems like using a locking wrap in front of this style frame would almost certainly neccessitate finish the wrap forward of the guide itself, resulting in the same problem I'm currently trying to aviod.

Of course, the extra thread forward of the guide might anchor the epoxy to the blank and help keep the angled portion of the guide from lifting away, but then again, maybe not.... sure would like to aviod a second strip down and re-refinish. lol

Looking at it, it would almost seem as though I need to end my wrap well back from the where the frame juts outward away from the blank, and make sure I keep my finished a few thread widths short it as well... dunno really,... just wanna get her done and done right and get on to them blitzin fishies!

Nate

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 11:37PM

Nate,
If I understand the problem you are describing I don't think that you want to shorten your wrap and you also want to be sure that you have epoxy a little past the wrap, about 1/8", and epoxy in the tunnel so I think that I would suggest that you wait until the epoxy just starts to set up and then use something like a tooth pick to carefully remove the excess epoxy ahead of the guide foot.

Posted by: Mike OLiver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 02, 2005 02:07PM

Nate,

Emory is pretty much bang on here. I have recently built about five fly rods using the T-SG guides. I used the Forhan lock and my first two effoerts were not salable. I got scalping on the first where the tunnel sucked away too much high build meaning I had to revisit the rod the next day and the result was a bit ugly. Completealy functional but ugly as you could see the line where I had filled in. The second attempt I had your problem with too big a gob of high build. I hate to see this on any guide. So Like Emory I found my solution was to wait a while and then with a darning needle remove the wicked up high build. I also use a piece of D thread like Dental floss to get right in underneath. If you get the timing right the epoxy does not flow down from above and cause a repeat of the problem. Leave it too long and you can get a mess. Better to go too soon than too late for this trimming operation. You can always add more epoxy from the point of the needle and it will get absorbed. Sometimes you will have to remopve the gob of epoxy two or three time until it settles down to where you want it. It is almost impossible in my experince to not get a bit of wicking but it can be reduced to acceptable levels

These TSG rings can be tricky because of the shape. Now I only wrap the part of the foot that is actually in contact with the blank. Look at the underside of the guide and you can se exactaly where it ends. As a general rule I only wrap this way for any ring. I never start wrapping up the curve . It does you no good at all and you get the epoxy problem you describded. Better one turn of thread too short than one too long.

Because of the shape of this guide you will never acheive the almost no gap finish that you see on the Forhan lock in the Library. You have to accept that you will see a fair bit of metal, and some blank near the tunnel area even with a three turn lock, so what it's honest and it does not look bad at all.

On another front I have had these rings om my saltwater fly rods for 8 years and no rust. My rods are well used and get very wet as I swim out to rocks to cast on occasions.

They are worth every cent you paid for them. I don't even consider them expensive anymore when I look at the total cost. LIke not having to rebuild because of corroded guides.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike Oliver

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster