I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

the switcheroo
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 03:59PM

Have a down locking reel seat and would like to make it an uplocking. Can I just reverse it or is there something I 've over looked .Cork is not recessed. Never doing this before I don"t want to make a mistake I can't fix. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: the switcheroo
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 01, 2005 04:50PM

The only time you'd have a problem here is if you have a hood that is intended to be recessed and therefore isn't finished or anodized like the threaded barrel end. If both ends look the same, go right ahead.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: September 01, 2005 11:20PM

Hi, Bill

I just place those ol' reel seats on spinning rods so the threads on the barrel aren't held in the hand of the user. Those darned threads get pretty irritating when the rod's held all day with them cutting into skin. Uplock, downlock-doesn't matter. Just so the threads aren't next to skin, they're in the correct position for me!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 02, 2005 08:06AM

Shortening the length of the barrel of the reel seat can also be done if that seems to help with some situation, whether up-locking or down-locking.

Use a fine tooth hacksaw. Make sure to clear off the burr from the end and the thread channels. And make dang sure that the new barrel length is not too short. Open the reel hoods, and lay the reel foot of the reel you want to use between the spread out hoods. Even do this on the side or the backside of the barrel, so that you are not cheating and having the toes of the reel foot slip into one of the hoods while you are moving the hood-nut up or down. This spread will ensure that the new barrel length will be at least long enough to open wide enough to still keep the hood-nut completely on the barrel when the full length of the reel foot sits between the spread-out hoods. Otherwise, the hood-nut may damage that grip's cork or foam. You may want to add another ~ 1cm (~ 1/2") in case you use another reel some day. -Cliff Hall+++

Date: September 02, 2005 09:21AM

I want to cut the reel seat to proper length .It being black aluminum I'm concerned about having a shiny thread at the end .Anyway to mask it?

Date: September 02, 2005 10:42AM

Handydandy Bill reporting, The light just went on,. the thread will be hidden by the wood spacer .

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 02, 2005 11:59AM

"When cutting the reel seat to proper length, I'm concerned about having a shiny thread at the end. Anyway to mask it?" ..."The light just went on - the thread will be hidden by the wood spacer . -BC
... BINGO ! -Cliff Hall+++ .

P.S. - For hiding the shiny metal of a newly ground guide foot from shining thru from under a light-colored thread overwrap, a permanent Sharpie brand marker or Testor's paint is what is usually recommended. Check to see that your color preserver and thread epoxy won't re-dissolve the ink or paint as you use it. Otherwise, just use a dark enough overwrap and be done with it. ... Which, in part, explains the popularity of black and metallic overwraps - almost total masking power. -CMH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster