I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Found first copy of Rodmaker
Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 12:45PM

Stumbled into a real find on the buy and sell page here. Just lucky I guess. Guy was selling the very first issue of Rodmaker ever produced. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Please don't ask for me to make copies and send them out. That wouldn't be legal, but I did want to maybe get this out some way. I thought about bringing it to Charlotte and Tom could display it in the Rodmaker booth or something. I just don't want it torn up from too much handling. I'll see if we can work something out.

Really looking forward to the big show in Charlotte again this year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Found first copy of Rodmaker
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 03:54PM

I still haven't decided whether I am going to the "big shew" or not. I would like to go to meet some of the folks I have been in touch with throughout the years such as Putter, Mike Barkley, Doc Ski , Bill Stevens, et al. It seems that I am always going someplace that I want to go that may not be of interest to my wife. If the wife goes, are there any shopping or sight seeing tours for ladies that are not into rod building?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: September 01, 2005 04:05PM

Look at teh link in teh above left

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 01, 2005 04:48PM

There is a ton to see and do in Charlotte. Check the official website for a long list of local attractions. If she likes to shop, and you can fund her buying choices, the Concord Mills Outlet Mall is a place she can get lost in for a week. Bass Pro Shops has a nice store there, but compared to the mall overall it's just a pimple on a elephant's butt - the place is huge and has more to see and look over than she can cover in a weekend.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 01, 2005 05:20PM

She could learn how to cast a fly rod at the show, also. They were doing that quite a bit while we were gadding about!! I'd sure like to meet ya, Ellis!! (Loved yer post, Tom!!)

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 07:58PM

Ellis,
My wife and I will certainly be there. I could put her to work in the booth with Emily....of course she may never let you go fishin' with me again after that!

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 08:07PM

Andy pays "really" well too. Too bad there is no :rolleyes: icon here.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 01, 2005 08:19PM

Sure like to see you therre, Ellis! Bring some of that Gumbo and I'll bring a crockpot!!

Mike

Date: September 01, 2005 08:39PM

I hope Andy's pay is better than his guided fishing trips. Have I got a story for you, Billy. Hey Mike, if I go (Danny started this and got my juices going) I will treat you to some southern hospitality at a good restaurant. Back to the show, should one go a couple of days early to take in all of the sights? Is the show a whole day affair? Do some of the ladies get together and go make the sights? Is there a Wal-Mart where I could leave my wife for a couple of days? I went to a seminar sometime in the 80's that Clemens put on in Austin, Texas and while the rod builders were at the seminar there was a shopping and sightseeing tour arranged for the ladies. By the way, Andy did treat my wife and I to a fine seafood lunch that my wife is still talking about...best shrimp po-boy we ever had.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 01, 2005 09:01PM

Ellis,

This is a much different affair than the old RodCrafter seminars. Because of the far greater size and scope of this event, it would be tough to organize something for all the wives - you might have 1,000 of them to deal with. Certainly, individuals could get together by phone or email before the event and make plans with people they know, but to try and organize something for the spouses when we're talking about such a huge crowd really isn't feasible. At least not for me anyway.

The actual event is a two day affair. I doubt you'll see and do everything you want to in just one day. There's a ton of seminars and even more to see on the show floor as well. The RodMaker reception is a pretty casual thing on Saturday evening and your wife is certainly welcome.

I don't view Charlotte as the same type of tourist destination as places like Charleston, SC, Asheville, NC, etc. Charlotte is one of the banking capitals of the U.S. So it does have a fairly vibrant downtown and with a population of a couple million or something, there is stuff to see and do if you look for it. But I don't think your wife would be bored over a two day trip to Charlotte. Browse the show website (link at top left) and see if any of the attractions might appeal to her.

Date: September 01, 2005 09:54PM

Hey Yankee Boy...I did offer to pay you, remember?

Andy

Date: September 01, 2005 10:18PM

Yes I do, but that's not funny if I post that, now is it? lol.

Date: September 01, 2005 10:29PM

Thank you gentlemen. At least now I have a better idea of what to expect. Heck, I might even low ball Billy and get his position at Andy's.

Date: September 01, 2005 10:42PM

Ellis,
You're really scrapin' the bottom of the barrell to come to work for me...only way you could get any lower would be to go to work for Ralph O'Quinn...not only is he a hard man to work for, he is ugly to boot.

At least I am handsome and charming.

Andy

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2005 11:07PM

Handsome? Andy, you've got to be kidding! Seriously, theres a great soul food/ cajun restaurant about 4 or 5 blocks from the convention center that has some of the best southern style and home cooking that you could ever want. Bill Stevens and I ate there for the two nights that we were there and wished we were staying for a couple of more. Maybe some of us Cajuns and Texicans could get together for some great food and conversation.

Date: September 02, 2005 06:58AM

Lance, most of the restuarants seemed like they were really, really good. I ended up eating out of the Holiday Inn restuarant (no driving or advanced planning it was just convenient) - and was amazed at how good and fairly priced the food was. I saw the CAjun restuarant in teh local guide, but didnt know exactly where it was. TEHre was also a Spanish or Brazilian spot rightnear the center of the city that looked great, would love to eat tehre as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster