I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sandpaper grit on finish?
Posted by: Joe Barthelt (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2005 11:03PM

What grit sandpaper do you guys use to even out a threadwrap finish that has waves? Is there a fine grit wet-sand you can use that would allow you to get away with a fine sanding and not having to put on another coat?

Thanks,

Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sandpaper grit on finish?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 30, 2005 11:07PM

You'll play heck sanding and polishing it back up to a really high sheen. Epoxy will come back up a bit, but not like most acrylic or polyesters. If you try it, be prepared to work through grades up through 1500 and then some buffing to boot. I've done it and it came out okay, but it never came back up to the point that I was very happy with it.

Block sand with something like 320 until flat, then switch to 400 and then to 600. Refinish and don't put on too much. This is probably the easiest and quickest way to handle things.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.84.98.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 31, 2005 01:06AM

This is my main use for permagloss. Block sand level, then give it a quick coat of PG. I also put it over epoxy just for what I feel is a bit of a protective barrier, even if it is perfectly level.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: August 31, 2005 07:24AM

Mick

Every time I sand permagloss and put another coat on - it wrinkles like lacquer over enamel ?
How are you doing it ?

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.86.182.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 31, 2005 08:35AM

Bill,
I can't really answer that one. I've never really sanded PG except to remove it. I should have been clearer and said that I pretty much use PG as a final coat over epoxy finishes, sometimes as a first coat.

I have had PG look bad over finish if I use to low a grit paper on the epoxy. PG isn't thick/heavy enough to really fill in deep cuts. I do as Tom says, though I will make final passes with even finer grits, sometimes as high as 2000, which is what I normally use to put a scuff on finish that doesn't need touchup.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster