I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grainy Rod Bond Resin...?
Posted by: Nate Harris (---.lndnnh.adelphia.ne)
Date: August 27, 2005 05:23PM

Hi guys,

Noticed something strange while building two rod handle set ups this afternoon... The resin portion of a newly purchased batch of U40 Rod Bond seemed kinda grainy. The stuff wasn't dry like granulated sugar, but it was indeed a different texture than the last batch I'd ordered last winter.

Did the folks at Trondak change the resin formula? Is it supposed to be this way nowadays? Or could there have been something wrong this particular jar?

I'm in a hurry to get these rods together quick before the striper start moving so I went ahead and mixed the stuff and got to glueing... But I wonder now if my haste may have been a mistake... would hate to have my handle come apart while in the middle of battling my first striper on the fly!

Whaddaya think?

Sincerely,

Nate H.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grainy Rod Bond Resin...?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 27, 2005 05:40PM

Put you rod bond in the microwave for about 15 secs, it should get creamy again. I believe it was the resin jar on mine that was grainy. It has stayed creamy ever since. The batch you made should hold up fine, this is really user friendly stuff.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.msn.com)
Date: August 27, 2005 05:58PM

Or just set it in a pan of hot tap water for a few minutes.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 27, 2005 08:01PM

I second the pan of hot tap water. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: August 28, 2005 01:04AM

The hot water just doesn't get the wife nervous enough, though...so I've gotta go with her microwave. LOL!! Lot's less time involved, too.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (203.212.147.---)
Date: August 28, 2005 03:50AM

Putter rod bond microwave + Peg nervous = cast iron you know what Putter.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.an1.sea18.da.uu.net)
Date: August 28, 2005 09:40AM

Be sure to take the lid off the container if you are going to zap it!!!!!!

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: August 30, 2005 09:04PM

I had some Rod Bond resin that was also sort of "funny." I didn't think too much about it and mixed some up as usual and got my first failure with Rod Bond. After a week it was still gummy and the reel seat was easily pulled off. I mixed another batch, being as careful as possible about getting equal amounts. That seemed to work, until I took the rod to Bonaire where the 95+ temp and 90+% humidity caused the reel seat to come loose. It didn't fall off but I was worried about it for about half of my bonefishing time. But then, I went there to scuba dive so the bonefishing was just a little bonus. Back home in Montana the reel seat seemed until I really put some pressure on it and was able to pull it off again.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: August 30, 2005 09:26PM

I'm sure if you warm it up some, it'll be just fine, Gerry.

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster