I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Big game rod help
Posted by: gary campo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 27, 2005 05:17PM

I am putting together my first big game rod. The blank is a calstar, rated 50-130 [I think it's called the Baja Boomer]. on a shorty curved handle. The vendor advised 5 large Aftco roller guides. The blank is only 5 1/2 feet and seems really crowded with 5 guides. and a 16" fore grip. Would 4 guides be better? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Big game rod help
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: August 27, 2005 06:30PM

I wouldn't personally use a handle on this particular blank,although it can be done. This blank was designed to be built with a gimbal or cap,reel seat,butt, and foregrips. Most builders using this do get the five roller guides on with no problems. Most commonly used are the Aftco HD's.I am of no help to you if you are going to use the Aftco Big Foots,but still,can't see any problems with them save for the feet being too wide towards the tip. If you do build it with a curved butt,I can't see why you couldn' t use five guides. Pretty stiff stick you're building. I would advise a light drag or being strapped into a chair bolted through the deck. And if you feel that 5 guides really crowds it,then go with four. If a detachable butt was needed,I would have used an IGFA type blank. Those blanks are typically designed for such handles and the butt is often more level and created to fit the Aftco handles,as well as others. This ensures a better epoxy bond between the blank and ferrule. The level butt also allows for some trimming of the blank for better adaptation to an individual users needs where length is a concern. There are some variables you didn't mention that would help others give you the benefit of their knowledge. Is it going to be a chair or standup rod,etc.
Chuck

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2005 08:26PM

Unless the guides actually butt up against each other, too many is not going to be nearly as bad as too few. At least not a heavy rod such as you mention. If you're adding a butt/handle to the standard 5'6" blank length, then you should certainly be able to go with 5 guides.

Posted by: Nacho Garibay (---.255.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 29, 2005 09:54PM

Hi Gary,

I just got done building 3 Stand up tuna rods on the Calstar GFGR7455 blanks: H for 60 lb test; XH for 80 lbs test; XXH for 100 lbs test. I used three big foot roller guides facing the reel with two smaller HD roller facing the tip at Dos Ski's recommendation. Understand that the two HD roller guides will be facing the tip, while the three big foot roller guides will be facing the reel. It will looks a little drifference, but works increditability well. No problem getting the five roller guides to fit on the blank. Me, I find the spine, glue on the grips, reel seat, and tip. Put a 40 (yes, I use body building weights and yes, it is scary) pound load on the tip to blend the rod and start spacing the guides with the reel in place and using the reel line to run though the roller to help line them up and make sure the guide spacing is correct.
I do this a couple of time just to make sure I have it right, but more for my own peace of mind.
Oh, I forgot to tell you that I also use a 20 inch foregrip and a 8 inch reargrip. Yep, it all fits nicely and you can pull your self right off the boat with any of these rods. In fact, I was so concerned with the fact that I could be pulled off the boat that I asked my friend Doc Ski on what to do if I should find myself being dragged off the boat by a three hundred pound tuna. His answer with a very straight face, why do you think they have a drag on the reel? Then, he just smiled at me. Doc is sooooo stright funny.

One more thing, I know a bunch of guys that love that Boomer series for big tuna. In fact, I am also thinking of building a stand up tuna rod on the baja junior or better yet, waiting to get my hands on one of the NEW Lamiglass blanks-- SOMEDAY --

Good wrapping on that tuna rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster