I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrappers for Stand up/heavier salt water rods
Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: August 27, 2005 02:39PM

I would welcome anyone thoughts as to an intro wrapper for heavier stand up and saltwater rods. I am new to rod building and want to build my own salt water rods as I am sick of the ones I have.

Also I would like to have a wrapper for fly rods from trout to salt water and was wondering if the same one can be used.

Any information would be appreciated and love the Forum discussions and search features.

Ernie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrappers for Stand up/heavier salt water rods
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2005 03:09PM

I wrapped my Allstar 1508 12' 6" rated 4-10 OZ by hand over felt lined wood "V" blocks on my desk (6FT) using a pile of Milk crates for the third support. works for all rods

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.block3.gvtc.com)
Date: August 27, 2005 03:49PM

I've used my FlexCoat hand rod wrapper for everything from 3-wt flyrods to 13-ft surf rods.

Posted by: Rob J. Hale (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: August 27, 2005 08:44PM

The American Tackle power wrapper is about $300 and I've used it on a ton of boat and trolling rods. Works for me! I'd get a Renzetti if I had the money to play with but the AM unit has done fine for me the past two years.

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 27, 2005 08:50PM

I've wrapped ALL my heavy saltwater rods holding the spool of thread with my hands,
and a big cardboard box with v grooves cut out at each end holding the blank!!!
FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE ! Ican also make adjustments any way I want...If I mess up,
more free boxes can be found out on the street every nite! ;^)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: August 27, 2005 08:53PM

For many years I wrapped all my rods on 3 individual roller stands and the thread passing through a book for tension that I constructed in my garage. The rods varied from fly rods to heavy stand-up and long jig sticks. Today I am using a PB power wrapper and am very happy with it. A little of an up front investment but I feel that the quality of the finished product is much better in the long run of things especially for the heavier salt water rods that I tend to build more of.

If this is a hobby that you feel thatyou will continue with for some time go ahead and invest in either the PB or Amtak rod wrappers. A used wrapper when you can find one is just fine. Monitor the buy/sell page, they sometimes comeup. Or may be someone reading this post has one and will contact you.

Using the commerically made wrappers made my life easier and the drying motor provided me with a much higher quality finish that I was unable to obtain turning the rod by hand over an extended period of time.

Welcome to the addictive world of custom rods.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: August 29, 2005 12:16AM

If you wish to see some nice plans for a well-designed manual ROD-WRAPPING jig: go to the RODBUILDING.ORG LIBRARY - "The Easy To Build Rod Wrapping Jig By Greg Pennell" [www.rodbuilding.org]

MANUAL ROD WRAPPING JIG (Cliff Hall): It keeps the "hand-made" aspect alive. To make a manual rod wrapping jig, you can use clean & straight "2x4" lumber. Use 1/4" wood dowels as pegs to connect the uprights to the base. This jig has adjustable distance between supports. Cost ~ $10. It can also do double duty as a manual rod drying-rack.

BASE: about 5 feet long, depending on blank length and table space. About every 6", drill a pair of 1/4" holes 2.00" apart on-center, all the way thru to accept the 2 dowels which you will peg into the bottom of each upright. [Be precise or the pegs won't fit into every position along the base. Remember: "Measure twice, cut once."]

UPRIGHTS: Make at least three, about 10"-12" tall (depending on how tall you are, and how you position your arms), with a 2" vee-notch. Into the bottom of each upright, drill the same holes 2.00" apart and 2" deep. Set your two 1/4" diameter dowels (length of 3.5" = 1.5" + 2.0") into the upright's bottom.

Use a felt fabric or even a heavy index card paper to line the V-notch. Or try felt fabric from hats or mole skin in sheets from foot care in pharmacy. It has adhesive on the back and is easily replaced when it gets worn.

To create thread tension, pass the thread thru the pages of a heavy textbook. Inserting ink-free printer paper will protect the book and thread from each other. Let thread roll off the spool, not cast off the end, which causes twist. If the blank tends to lift up out of the vee-notch under the tension of wrapping, then just loop a 8-16 oz bank sinker on some line, and hang it over the rod blank to hold it down. -Cliff Hall

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster