I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tying off an open butt wrap
Posted by: Sam Schalley (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: August 26, 2005 10:24PM

I just finished my first butt wrap. It’s a traditional diamond wrap on an ultra light spinning rod (it’s only the second rod I’ve built). I’ve read a bunch of posting on tying off wraps which contain under wraps (including a good step-by-step article posted by Billy Vivona) but I didn’t come across any which discussed tying off without an under wrap. Will the same technique work for both? Do I need to make more than one pass when tying off?

- Sam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tying off an open butt wrap
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.80.145.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 26, 2005 10:41PM

Most of my open wraps do not have underwraps. What works for me, and I hope I can explain it decently, is to start my tie off with moderate tension for a couple of turns, then increase the tension a bit as I go. Trim the threads at angles a bit before the center of the tie off, feather them, and back off the tension just a hair for the rest.

There may be an easier way, but this is what works for me and what I'm used to. I have better luck with my thread not moving if I start with lighter tension and gradually increase it. Never used more than a single layer.

Date: August 26, 2005 11:22PM

Mick, thank you for the information. Where do you normally start the wrap? It looks like threw the center of a diamond would be a good starting point.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 27, 2005 07:25AM

Sam,
Where you start the tie off is strictly a matter of taste and what kind of a patter you have. But if I do a diamond I would do what you described, start the tie off in the center of a diamond.

You tie off an open diamond or a chevron wrap pretty much the same as you tie off a closed wrap or a wrap with an undrwrap.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: August 27, 2005 04:16PM

Sam,
After I finish a butt wrap I will coat it with color preserver to a point where my tie off will start. After the CP dries, I will unravel the extra thread and cut it off leaving about a 1/4 inch of thread which I will comb out. The end of these threads are cut at an angle. Then I start my tie off in front of the wrap and tie towards the butt wrap. I get a much tighter wrap that way and the thread will not want to roll down the clipped ends and leave a separation between the threads. Do a wrap on a piece of rod blank and close it off using my method and see if you like it. Becareful though, some types of thread will tend to loosen with CP but it will work fine with regular thread.

Date: August 27, 2005 05:02PM

Ellis,
Thank you for the information. It sounds like a good technique. I used NCP thread. Do you know if CP will cause this type of thread to loosen? Also which CP do you use and how many coats do you apply?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2005 08:28PM by Sam Schalley.

Date: August 27, 2005 05:07PM

Scott,
I agree. Starting off in the middle of the diamond looks like it will give the overall wrap the best look. Thank you.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: August 27, 2005 11:32PM

Sam,
I think NCP thread would loosen some. What I have done with NCP is to finish the wrap using Flex Coat lite as I would color preserver. After it dries I trim the ends, make my tie-off bands, then put on a second coat of FC lite covering the end wraps this time. I use either FC CP or Gudebrod 811. And I have had problems with both. The 811 is syrupy and I thin it with isopropyl alcohol and use one coat only. I have tried a second coat but the alcohol turns the first coat to mush. The FC is ok but sometimes you get little white flakes in the finish. When you put it on, inspect your wrap very closely and remove any specks with a needle before the CP dries.

Date: August 28, 2005 12:09PM

Ellis,
Thank you. I'll try using Flex Coat lite.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster