I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stabilizing Reelseat inserts
Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: August 25, 2005 10:29AM

Anybody have any info on doing this at home..... I have heard of guys using Acetone & plexiglass(acrylic). Acrylic melts in acetone making a liquid...then you use airpressure...100psi for about 48 hrs to impregnate the wood. Does anyone have a simply way to set up the air chamber...please let me know. Also is it best to impregnate the blank then turn it...or turn it then impregnate the finshed spacer.

Also any other pertinent info or source would help.

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stabilizing Reelseat inserts
Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: August 25, 2005 10:45AM

I think there is a guy who does this - he charges by the pound. If you dont' come up with something satisfactory, you could rough turn & bore your wood, then send it to him as it will be lighter & cheaper.

I would think it's easier to bore & rough turn it down. After you stabilize the wood will change shape slightly, so if you turn it down as you would a finished seat, you'd be screwed.

For the record, I've never done this, I'm jus tregurgitating what I've read in the past.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2005 04:41PM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.an1.sea18.da.uu.net)
Date: August 25, 2005 10:50AM

If you use the search function and just type in " Stabilizing Wood" you will come up with over 2000 posts regarding the pros & cons of stabilizing wood in the last year..

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: August 25, 2005 11:02AM

Bob,

I tried that and came up with the the 3 replies above....I read this post almost daily and haven't seen anything in the last 6 months about how to do this.

Anybody with some info for DIY please advise

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.an1.sea18.da.uu.net)
Date: August 25, 2005 11:12AM

Open search
type in "Stabilized wood"
on the drop down menu select "Any words"
on the next drop down menu select "Last Year or Any Date"

And then click "Search"

Last year = 2026 posts
All Dates = 6594 posts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2005 11:49AM by Bob Crook.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 25, 2005 11:50AM

Like Bob said, Unless you specify different, the search only goes back 30 days

Mike

Posted by: Jack Rego (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2005 12:47PM

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: August 25, 2005 04:00PM

Be aware that doing this yourself is actually fairly dangerous. The thinner for the resin is highly flammable and it has to be done at very high temperatures. There are several sources for stabilized wood.

You can do the "poor man's" stabilization using thick CA glue. It works pretty well and helps give the wood a better finish. Andy Dear's DVD shows how to do it. Stan Grace does this with his Juniper grips and has been pleased with the results.

Posted by: Andy Dear (216.198.61.---)
Date: August 25, 2005 10:37PM

Joe,
I hate to break it to you, but you'll never do an adequate without a sophisticated pressure pot, special (dangerous flammable) chemicals, and a lot of experimentation. I have tried and tried to replicate the procedure, and finally gave up...and I had access to all of the above materials.

Do yourself a favor and call Mike Ludemen at WSSI...www.stabilizedwood.com. Tell him I sent you...I promise he won't hang up.

Andy Dear
Lamar MAnf.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 25, 2005 11:58PM

I just soak non-resenious inserts in penatcryl (from WoodCraft) for a month and then let them dry for a time & coat them with Tru-Oil. Don't know how they'll hold up long-run. My reelseats don't tend to get very wet for any long period of time..

Thinking about using an old flea-mart pressure cooker modified to accept scuba-tank pressure to see the effect.

Stan

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 26, 2005 12:07AM

I failed to mention in the previous post that the actual pressurized gas (air, N2, CO2, etc.) might be an important thing to think about.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster