I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix Stick-On Labels
Posted by: Jim Kirby (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: August 24, 2005 05:15PM

I detest the St. Croix stick-on labels almost as much as I love their blanks. To date, after dozens of tries, I have yet to put one on a rod without leaving some small amount of evidence (fingerprint, forceps mark, etc.) of what I have used to lift the label from the sheet. Admittedly, most are small and barely noticeable....but I know they are there and it really bugs me. Does anyone have a foolproof method of lifting and transferring one of these things without leaving a mark? You'll have my eternal gratitude!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix Stick-On Labels
Posted by: Josh Martineau (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2005 05:26PM

I have done many St.Croix labels with only one so far having a mark. Just peel a corner of the label off with your fingernail making sure not to touch the sticky part with your skin. Set the edge of the label on the blank, gently and slowly rub back and forth from the side to side making sure not to get any bubbles, then apply the finish and you are done.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 24, 2005 05:50PM

They ARE hard to work with....I have two almost ready for them. My last one I used a knife to lift the corner, and only touched the edges to hold it...... it did well but wasn't easy :)

DR

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 24, 2005 05:58PM

Love the blanks but never use the labels. My logo, rod specs (action, power, line lure weight) and Custom Made For------- are all that I put on a rod.

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.212.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 24, 2005 06:13PM

I mark where it will go before it is placed on the rod with 1/4" tape. Then use two 2 tweezers to hold and place it on. Get them at a drug store.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: August 24, 2005 09:18PM

I scan them and e-mail the image to Decal Connection and have them reproduced on waterslide paper in silver.

Date: August 24, 2005 09:36PM

Hey Scott,

That idea sounds absolutely outstanding. My feelings about the Decal Connection are absolutely at the opposite end of the spectrum from my feelings about the St. Croix labels. I didn't know that Decal Connection (or anyone else) was permitted to reproduce that sort of stuff. I'll check this out and, perhaps, finally have a GOOD alternative to those %$#@%$#@ stick-on labels. Thanks

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 24, 2005 10:06PM

Decal Connection has made numerous posts stating that they will NOT make any labels even using the manufacturer's name in them without written permission. It is copyrighted and they jave been asked by the manufacturer's to stop making decals with their name on them.

Mike

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.imation.com)
Date: August 24, 2005 11:08PM

Hi Jim,

You can use a transparent "lift-off" tape from 3M, about 1/4 to 1/2" width, place it over the label and make sure that the length of the strip of lift-off tape is longer than the label to allow you to hold each end with both your fingers. Peel off the backing of the decal and ensure that the label comes off cleanly. The label will stay on the lift-off tape. Once you have applied the label with still the lift-off tape on top, ensure that label is nicely position before you remove the lift-off tape. This specilized tape from 3M will not destroy the label. Hope my suggestion helps as it has served me well. Most of the bass rods that I built are St. Croix and I love them.

Date: August 25, 2005 02:11AM

Thanks Anthony,

I'll be headed to town in the morning to begin my search for the lift-off tape

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.145.109.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: August 25, 2005 06:04AM

You know of course.... the thumb print under the lable is what makes that rod CUSTOM !!!!!!!!!! You can call it your "trademark", I have done dozens of St.Croix rods and every one has a mark on it. Think I'll try the "lift off tape"

Thanks

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: August 25, 2005 07:48AM

Decal Connection will reproduce labels if you send "A copy of the original decal, warranty card, or proof of purchase that came with the blank."

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: August 25, 2005 11:40AM

I use a razor blade under one corner. That allows me to lift the decal part way off the backing. I use the backing to hold the other end of the decal. Peel of the decal until it is just about free. I place the decal on the blank holding the razor blade and the decal backing. Once contact is made, pull the backing out from under the decal. Once the decal is fully contacting the blank, I wrap the decal with thread to allow it to conform to the blank radius. It also forces out any imperfections. Once the top coat is put on, you can't tell the difference from St Croix's rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster