I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"Cushioned" reel seat hoods
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 09:00PM

Some of the American tackle reel seats are described with 'cushioned' reel seats. What exactly is that? Thin aluminum over foam/fabric? What for?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Cushioned" reel seat hoods
Posted by: Emory Harry (67.189.55.---)
Date: August 22, 2005 09:11PM

Steven,
The cushioned reel seat has several advantages over a reel seat that is just plain metal and therefore has direct metal to metal contact between the reel and the reel seat. The reel will tend to deform the plastic cushion a little so that the reel fits better, tighter, in the reel seat and the plastic cushion also, because it avoids direct metal to metal contact, helps to prevent electrolysis between the reel and the reel seat if they are different metals, particularly in salt water.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2005 09:18PM by Emory Harry.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: August 22, 2005 09:48PM

Years ago, I always had used the all-metal hooded, or un-cushioned, reel seats because of the looks. I liked the unaltered look of the all-metal hoods. I slowly switched to the cushioned seats and now, I like the looks of them better than the un-cushioned ones. Go figure...

The reels do fit nicer in the cushioned reel seats as Emory said in his post.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 10:13PM

They also fit tighter and don't loosen up. All around better seats.

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: August 23, 2005 11:29AM

If you use the old style reels the feet on them were alot thicker and you would have to use the uncushioned kind of reel seats, you should always have your customer or friend bring the reel to your place to see if it fits snuggly in the reel seat you pick out for your customer or friend.

Neal's Fishing Products

Date: August 23, 2005 01:17PM

Neal,
I have seen the problem that you are referring to and I think that your suggestion about getting the actual reel that the customer will be using is a good one but I think that I would tend, on most rods, to go up one size of reel seat before I would use a non-cushioned reel seat if an older reel did not fit.
I know that we used the non-cushioned reel seats for a lot of years and thought that they were fine but now I think that the cushioned reel seats have several advantages and the additional cost is small.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: August 23, 2005 01:48PM

I'm confused. Are you saying the 'cushioned' reel seats run smaller/tighter?

Date: August 23, 2005 02:12PM

Steven,
On most of the reel seats from Batson, Pac Bay, and Fuji the cushion is a plastic insert that is added to the non-cushioned reel seat so the answer to your question is yes. The cavity or hole that the foot of the reel goes into is a little smaller on a cushioned reel seat.

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: August 24, 2005 11:49AM

You all have to understand that the new reels feet are alot more thinner as they are trying to get them as light as possiable so the fisherman can feel relaxed at the end of a day of fishing. So in making the feet thinner the components manufactures had to put the cushion in on the reel seats so the reels would fit tighter.

Neal's Fishing Products

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster