I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flex coat over varnish
Posted by: Joe Flowers (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2005 06:10PM

Can Flexcoat be applied over te varnish on an old bamboo rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flex coat over varnish
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 10:18PM

Yes, just hit it with a fine scoff pad for bond. Don't want to use all varnish on a bamboo rod ??

Date: August 22, 2005 11:11PM

Thanks Bill. I was just wondering. I'm rewapping all the guides on a fifties ventage South Bend. The rod i'm working on has no value as a collectable so I'm toying with the idea of just using nylon thread and Flexcoat.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 11:20PM

Regular nylon thread with No color preserver will become transparent and the blank color will show though. It will almost disapear with the same color of the blank. Put up pictures when it's done.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.151.74.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: August 23, 2005 04:48AM

I do it all the time, I would suggest that you thin the flex coat a little... and if your redoing all the guides, you might as well remove all the old varnish as well, doesn't
take that long and then the whole job looks like a pro dipped it...
Any questions you can email me at: mrparramoure@yahoo.com

Tight lines & smokin' drags

Art

Date: August 23, 2005 07:27AM

You know Art, I was sort of considering removing the old varnish. It looks pretty crummy. There are a couple of places where it looks like it was touched before it dried. What's good to take it off? Will I need to worry about the glue holding the bamboo strips together being affected?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster