I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wax your threaded rod
Posted by: John Butterfield (---.adsl.gulftel.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 12:55PM

I made a fore grip on a threaded rod. Glued the corks together, then it sat for a week. This morning I formed it just how I wanted and it looked great. Tried to thread it off and it would not move. Tried several things including a strap wrench but ended up cutting it off. This was a new rod and I forgot to wax it first. I know I should get tapered mandrels but I have not. Don't forget to wax threaded rods before you make a handle. Another dumb move by John. John Butterfield

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wax your threaded rod
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 02:15PM

I don't think you want tapered mandrels, just straight mandreals. Drill rod will work. Just a thin coat of parraffin wax is all it takes and they're usually a bit straighter than all-thread rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 02:37PM

You might have used a lot or too much rod bond. I use a threaded rod for cork all the time and just loosen one nut - then tighten the other and they come off.
Don't load on the bond, very thin coat does not take much at all.

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.adsl.gulftel.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 03:12PM

I use Elmers Probond. It has always worked for me and have no reason to switch. It comes off easy, unless you forget to wax a new threaded rod. What compounded this dumb move is that it sat for a week and the Probond was really set. Screwing it off with the nut did not work. The whole thing bunched up and split. I just ran a die across the threads of that rod, then waxed it. It won't happen again, unless I screw up again, which I might. John Butterfield

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: August 22, 2005 03:33PM

John, I've been wondering where my pet Gremlin got off to. LOL As long as I've been rodbuilding, if I don't look at my list of step-by-step instructions I'll miss one and Foul up. If you tell us about even half of your mistakes you're ahead of me. Oh, you can keep the gremlin, I don't want him/her/it (?) back. Humor aside, better luck next time. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: August 22, 2005 03:59PM

RAther than use Rod Bond to glue up teh cork rings on the drill rod, use Contact cement. In 20 minutes everything is all glued up, squeezed together, and ready for sanding - althoough it's wise to wait a little while until you familiarize yourself with how long it takes to set up based on how much you use.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 10:49PM

Had the same problem before. I tried to move the grip a bit before shaping. It was STUCK on a piece of all thread, and would not budge. I did not want to damage the cork since the cork rings cost me plenty.

I taped the cork over with masking tape for protection. I then heated the allthread on either end of the cork grip. It did not take long before the epoxy softened to the point that its bond failed. It came right of in one piece. The cork smoked a little from the hot allthread rod, but no visible damage. Anymore I make sure the rod is coated with wax before use. The grip was 10" long.

Lou

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: August 23, 2005 06:01AM

I had the same trouble. What wax do you guys use? I just spun the allthread against a candle, and thought the coverage was good enough, but come time to pull the cork off, it was a bit tight. It came off with a screwing motion though.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 23, 2005 07:10AM

When you put the cork on the threaded rod make sure they slid easy.
When you put the rod bond on, stay away from the hole, and you only need a " very " thin coat.
Use large washers and wing nuts to hold them.
Next day loosen one nut ---then tighten the other nut and it will PUSH the assembly loose.

Then to clean the allthread I put it on a drill and run a hack saw over it

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 23, 2005 11:42AM

Remember to use VERY little Rod Bond (or whatever you use) I put it on and immediately scrape off as much as possible! More adhesive doesn't mean more strength. The surface only need to be damp. I just use candles and rub up and down the all thread.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster