I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

loss of adhesion
Posted by: Kevin Spandanger (---.userbeam.de)
Date: August 22, 2005 09:05AM

Tom did you say that using color preserver would result in loss of 10% adhesion on guide wraps? Is 10% enough to hurt anything?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: loss of adhesion
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 22, 2005 09:23AM

No, I never said that. What I said was that wraps made with CP were only about 10% weaker in lateral guide holding power than those made without CP. I said nothing about adhesion, which isn't much of a factor anyway. To say that a guide wrap made with CP can be manually removed from the rod easier than one made without CP isn't really saying much about practical applications with regard to actual fishing situations.

If you make up about 100 samples (50 would be the minimum you'd want for any good data reporting) of guide wraps, half with and half without color preserver. And then you load the guides laterally to find the load at which each guide will break loose from the wrap, you will find a difference between the two of about 10% (11% was the average we found in our tests). In every case, however, the guide itself would deform long before it would break loose under the wrap. I could not test every type and height guide, but you could do it yourself if you were extremely interested in this subject. I feel safe in saying that either with or without CP, a good wrap of nylon thread provides more than enough strength to any guide used for fishing purposes, for what that guide is intended to do.

It is important, however, to get something, anything - CP, varnish, finish, etc., along the edge of the guide foot next to the blank. Guides do not like to sit on a round surface and can shift or move if they are on top on the rod and are heavily loaded. By getting CP or finish into the tunnel between guide leg and blank, you tend to create a small "flat" or "shoulder" along the edge of the foot and this greatly aids in making the guide more stable. In fact, on guide wraps where we did not create this "shoulder" we found that the ability of a guide to withstand a lateral load without moving or shifting was about 70% less than those where CP or finish were used to make that shoulder. That's a significant difference and one that does have practical ramifications in actual fishing situations.

The thread holds the guide to the blank. The CP and/or finish protect the thread. Strength comes from the thread. Stability comes from the thread and that little shoulder or flat I spoke about. The coating on the thread simply protects the thread so it can do its job for a long, long time.

If you're concerned about all this, I suggest you build two identical rods for the type fishing you do. Make one with and one without CP. Fish them hard for several seasons and see how the guides and wraps hold up for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2005 09:32AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Kevin Spandanger (---.userbeam.de)
Date: August 22, 2005 09:42AM

Okay thanks. I just didn't want my guides tearing out or coming off from what I have heard some rod builders say. I want to do it correctly.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 22, 2005 09:47AM

Neither way is correct nor incorrect. Just different ways to do it. Both work.

Ultimately, whether you use it or not is up to you and doesn't really affect anyone else. But I do hate to see anyone scared off from using CP because of reports that it'll make their wraps "weak." It won't. Wraps made with CP are not inherently weak nor are they prone to fail in actual fishing situations. If such a wrap does fail, it's usually due to something other than the use of CP.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: August 22, 2005 10:00AM

For a comparison of guide-wraps (relative, calculated), see "Gudebrod Thread Table: Strength & Weight of Guide Wraps for Size 2/0 - E" [KEYWORDS: GUDEBROD; THREAD; Strength; Weight]. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Table of Wrap Strength & Wrap Weight per 1 cm Width of Guide Wrap around a 1 cm circumference section of rod blank (OD = 3.18 mm) for selected popular Styles & Sizes of Gudebrod Rod-Building Thread. (Calculated values, not direct "in-situ" measurements) -Cliff Hall +++

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 10:55AM

I don't think thread strength is an issue or a problem. At least I hope not. I've used A sized thread on plenty of rods and taken large fish on them and the wraps have never been damaged. I've never had a guide tear through any wrap, color preserver or not. I don't think you can tear one through a wrap without damaging the blank.

I have seen very very very old rods where the thread had rotted and you could tear or bust those wraps with some effort. I would assume that modern nylon thread lasts a very long time?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 23, 2005 08:46AM

On single foot guides use the Forhan Wrap to insure it is strong.
The thread holds the guide on CP holds the color

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 23, 2005 11:55AM

I'm with Bill on the Forhan wrap! I put it on EVERY single foot guide (even ultra lights) It is also a very good selling point when you explain the purpose and throw in that NO maufacturer's use it!

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 23, 2005 05:27PM

Mike - you think like I do

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster