I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gotta Love Spar Varnish
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: August 21, 2005 11:31PM

As I have oftern stated before....I HATE two part preparations. No matter how hard I try I can never get them quite right. Spar is my do-it-all rod finish. It can be airbrushed on, applied with a foam brush, or wiped on with a coffee filter. It can be thinned, tinted, pigmented, glitter can be added, and it is at least relatively hard when cured. Clean up is even easy.

SInce I also do a little woodworking, it is also always around. Now some of these other finishes like Permagloss and Daimondlite among others sound interesting, but my motivations need to be goaded to give them a try.

FYI- Pearl-Ex Powdered Pure Pigments, esp the metallics like Brilliant Gold give an interesting "flash" to spar when added in tiny amounts as an accent.

So far, wiping the Spar on with a coffee filter seems to give the lightest and most even coats.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gotta Love Spar Varnish
Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.228.156.156.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: August 21, 2005 11:51PM

Derek.,

I have tried permagloss on my last two rods, and have had great results. I am impatient by nature and i try to mess too much with the two part epoxies. I have had success with the epoxies, but i like the no-nonsense of the permagloss. The fumes from the permagloss is a concern, so please make sure you have adequate protection. I live in a non-humid environment ( southwestern Colorado) but the permagloss seems to dry quickly regardless of the humidity level in my area, so work fast!!! Hope this helps!

Carrington

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: August 22, 2005 01:47PM

I still use spar varnish for any bamboo restorations that I do. I use low-build epoxy (HobbyPoxy) on most of my other rods because the end result looks pretty close to what you get with varnish and is more durable. I hate mixing two part finishes too, but I am comfortable doing it. I use a small stainless steel measuring spoon to measure the two parts. I have not had great results with any other measuring technique.

Posted by: Michael E Tanner (63.96.87.---)
Date: August 22, 2005 04:11PM

Rob,
your email is hidden.
I was wondering what you do to prepare a bamboo rod for the spar varnish?
what grit sand paper and how far do you sand ect.?
The tip is so small it concerns me on how to prepare.
Thanks,Mike

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 09:08PM

Mike,

I don't do any sanding. Assuming the rod has been cleaned of any old varnish, I just apply it. I happen to use a brush to apply varnish because that's what I'm comfortable with. For varnishing the wraps, I just apply it to the wraps with a brush, usually without color preserver. I am by no means an expert on the subject, but that's all I do. I like to use three or four coats on the wraps.

Rob

Posted by: john channer (---.228.159.189.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 10:17PM

I find a dubbing needle works better than a brush to apply varnish to thread, even the best brushes seem to make bubbles in the varnish. If you want to get carried away with varnish finishes on bamboo rods, set up a dip tank with a length of pvc plumbing pipe and either a motor withdrawal system or just use an old fly reel as a winch, the trick is to pull it out very slowly and stop under every wrap for a minute or so to let the excess varnish run back into the tube instead of making a run on the rod.
john

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.pb.com)
Date: November 09, 2005 02:16PM

I would like to try spar varnish. Any recommendations of which is the best choice. I found MinWax brand, but said finnish was a semi-gloss and I wimped out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster