I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

your suggestions for building new blank!
Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 21, 2005 05:40PM

I'm down to my last blank for the season. It's a Lami 6909 one piece (fiberglas) 9ft ,rated 50lb line weight, 1-4oz lure. Since I've only built 2 piece graphite in the 11 foot range-all conventional but two- I'm at a loss for what to do with this stick?
I only bought it cause Mudhole had such a good close out price (i couldn't resist!).
It's a little on the heavy side for what I'm used to, but a nice blank none the less.
Someone suggested I make it into a cod rod? I just want to wrap it ( as I will give or sell it), so it makes no differance to me how it's built -as long as it's done right!
My gut tells me this should not be built conventional ! That said:
What size & type guides, and around how many- do you rod building gurus out there think I should use?
Any and all thoughts will be highly valued in this learning experiance!
Thanks ALL!!
-Eric

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: your suggestions for building new blank!
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 21, 2005 10:24PM

Casting reels have improved so much that you don't ever want to rule out conventional set ups. In most cases, they'll outcast a spinning reel, particularly when you start moving up in casting weight.

If I were doing it, I'd rig it with a bumper spiral wrap for conventional, or the New Guide Concept system for spinning. Either way, you'll want to set it up and cast it around a little bit, just to make sure it'll do what you want.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 21, 2005 11:14PM

Eric - either cut it down and make a Cod rod as per Rodwinders directions on Noreast, or sell teh blank to some Cod whore who "needs" that blank but can no longer get thier hands on it. I think that blank makes a good surf eelign stick, if you were goign to build it as is, although that' snot my thing so I'm regurgitating internet info. Search Noreast & SOL

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: August 22, 2005 01:41AM

Hiya, Eric - First of all, if you're lucky, Todd Vivian himself ("Mr. LamiGlas") will see this Post and indicate some of the typical applications for this rod blank. Or maybe Tom McNamara ("Mr. Mud-Hole"). Or someone else who also bought this close-out "6909". You are not the only one who snatched one up, I'm sure.

I could not find this blank's specifications in the M-H 2005 Catalog. However, Summer Moon Rod Works did have a "C-6906" listed in the Catalog (2004), page 13. Is this your rod?
LAMIGLAS C6906 (C = COMPOSITE) GRAPHITE/FIBERGLASS
(High Gloss / Clear Coat.) 1-piece, 9'=108"
BUTT OD: 0.965" ; TIP OD: 9/64ths ; BLANK WT.: 15 oz ;
LINE RATING: 20-50 LB-test Price: ("$uch a deal!")
NO "LURE-RATING" or "ACTION/TAPER" or "POWER" was listed.
Reel Seat: probably 24mm ID.

SPINNING ROD: Standard 9' Surf Stick. 1-4 oz lure. Spool diameter ~ 65mm
FUJI-BYLG/CYAG: 30, 20, 16, 12, 10, 10, 10, 10? + BFAT(10mm)-10/64ths
BHVLG/BLVLG: 40, 25, 20-16, 12-10, 12-10, 12-10? + BPLT/PST (12mm)-10/64ths
BSVLG/BLVLG: 50-40, 30-25, 20-16, 16-12, 12, (12?) + BPLT/PST(12mm)-10/64ths
Or it could be made into a spinning rod for a JETTY STICK ~ 8 feet long.
[These guide sizes are suggestions for your consideration. They have NOT been built & tested on the Lamiglas C6906 blank. Where you switch from double-foot to single-foot guides is up to you.]

CONVENTIONAL / SPIRAL ("BUMPER") WRAPPED:
COD-ROD: CLAM BAIT BOOM
BUNKER-SPOON: NORTON'S POINT TROLLERS
DIAMOND JIGGING, STRIPERS / BLUES: NYC BIGHT / JONES INLET
LIVE-BAIT BUNKER (6"-8" whole) around Breezy Point or in Jamaica Bay
For any of these, probably trimming from the butt end would bring the rod into a more convenient length. May need just a little off the tip. For more thoughts on trimming blank length and altering the action, see [www.rodbuilding.org] .

Eric, I think you could alter the length and really come up with a fabulous rod for some of these applications. But it's gonna be a more specialized rod this way. But in your area in Brooklyn-Queens, these specialty rods are highly prized, when available. You don't find them in just any tackle shop, if at all. Sharpies are looking for this kind of stuff. At least you'll be able to get your money back after you get to fish it enough to decide if your design worked. Just be careful / reasonable about your guide wraps and butt winds. From what I have seen you Post at RBO's Photo Gallery, you have made some spectacular rods for yourself in the last 6 months, but few buyers would pay the extra $$$ for what you did for yourself.

It should turn out to be a great learning experience. And if you don't want to keep it, you should be able to sell it, and get your money back by next spring, if not by this Christmas. LOL, Eric ... -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

P.S. - Oops, just caught the other Replies. As usual, Billy V's advice is as practical as it gets, especially if you want to skip the experiment part of this adventure. Somewhere near you, there's a cod monger looking to gear up for the fall / winter in the next few weeks, and you've got his blank. And he's got your cash. -Cliff Hall+++

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2005 09:36AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Nick Dazer (204.200.228.---)
Date: August 23, 2005 11:50AM

Out here on the west coast, we'd view that as a perfect blank for a fall chinook bobber and egg rod, set up as casting with tough guides that can handle 60# braided.

Nick Dazer
Portland, Oregon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster