I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Knot- Line to Reel
Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 20, 2005 07:13PM

Of all the knots out there , most are line to lure, line to leader etc.
How about line to reel, ? both MONO & POLYMER, braided
2# test up through big game 130# on up ??

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Knot- Line to Reel
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 20, 2005 08:48PM

You need to use the "arbor knot." Do a search and see if you can turn one up on a fishing site. This site isn't gong to have illustration of fishing knots.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 08:48PM

On 50lb class on up I usually tape the line on to the spool. Or tie a simple overhand to barely hold the line enough to began spooling line onto the reel. I learned this lesson the hard way when a large fish spooled me. When all the line was gone and it got to the uni-knot the knot held. The line was 50lb and it was not breaking. I was basically on my knees and butt, on the deck of the boat, trying to keep from losing the rod & reel ($750), holding on for dear life. Luckily one of the shipmates I was fishing with was watching this evolve and was ready with a knife. Cut the line seconds before I would have lost the rig.

On the rest I loop the tag end around the spool once, and tie a simple overhand knot around the running line with the tag end. Tighten. Then tie another overhand knot on the tag end by itself to act as a "stop knot" so when you pull on the running this 2nd knot comes tight against the 1st overhand knot. Trim the tag end close to the knot. This method of attachment is a secure knot until enough pressure is exerted, then the stop knot slips and comes undone allowing the 1st knot to come apart too. The knot is called by various names, but in this example it is called an "Arbor Knot".

See this link: [www.bassresource.com]

Lou

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 20, 2005 09:30PM

OK thanx guys, yes!!!!!!!!! not always the strong knot is the best !!!! I was about to fill a new reel , for a new rod, bumper -spiral wrap , with 100 lbs. test braided line, with this line it should take approx. 450 yrds.
Plan to use it , Tuna & Shark, I have already been catching 150 lbs. plus sharks with stand up rod.
They could take me overboard in a second !

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Date: August 20, 2005 10:20PM

Let me add something - when you use rods that stout and line that heavy, you don't really want to tie the line around the spool arbor. Doing so means that if the fish spools you, he will either yank the spool out of the reel, bend the spool shaft, or... jerk you overboard. This does happen to a few unlucky anglers each year.

This is precisely why many reels have pins protruding from the spool shaft. You tie a loop and affix it around the pin and fill the reel. If a fish spools you, the loop in the knot just slips off the pin and you loose nothing but your line. Your reel isn't damaged nor are you injured.

Just some food for thought if you're going after truly large fish with very heavy tackle.

Date: August 20, 2005 10:21PM

Okay.. I see Lou pretty much covered this. Just keep it in mind.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: August 21, 2005 03:22PM

For 20 pound and under I prefer the Duncan Loop/Uni-knot for Monofiliment, and a double overhand version of the arbor knot for fly line backing. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2005 03:24PM by Ralph Jones.

Posted by: austin sutch (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 21, 2005 06:07PM

I have always used masking tape to affix line to reel. That way if fish runs line to spool, reel isn't damaged. So far no fish has made it.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2005 09:59PM

I had one get close to end of the spool but have a change of heart after that.I also had the reel rebuilt after that due to a worn out drag system.Yuo never know what can affect your day so you should always be prepared for the worst.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.189.55.---)
Date: August 22, 2005 09:35PM

Lou,
I have never heard of an Arbor Knot but I am going to try it. It sounds clever and sounds to me like it will work.
It seems like I learn something new every day. If I can just live another couple of hundred years I am going to get pretty smart.

Posted by: Mike Applebee (---.webcelerate.com)
Date: August 22, 2005 10:20PM

I was taught by my Grandpa that the knot used to tie line to the reel does not need to be a strong holding knot. He always said, "If a fish takes that much line on you, the knot is the least of your problems."

Posted by: david williams (---.formysite.com)
Date: August 23, 2005 12:22PM

take and run the end of your line around the spool shaft and bring it back out several inches.
fold it back toward the spool to form a loop. hold the loop and the main line with thumb and middle finger wrap end of loop around the two lines using right index finger and left thumb and finger about 5
times. run end of loop back up thru loop and pull tight ( spit on the line before you tighten it so it wont burn the line ) pull on main line to sinch the not down to the spool shaft trim off tag end
i have had the line break before knot failed

david williams

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 23, 2005 06:36PM

Mike,

Your Granpa's a smart man. Listen to him!

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster