I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with two color wraps
Posted by: Joe Hamel (---.dialup.wisc.edu)
Date: August 20, 2005 12:23AM

I'm building my second rod and trying to do a two color wrap. I've been trying to use the technique that Garcia uses in his book but I'm having a difficult time with it. When I'm able to get the wrap going were the two colors join it looks bulky. If any body has suggestions or a better technique to share I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2005 12:26AM by Joe Hamel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with two color wraps
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 10:46AM

I will watch this "thread" with interest as I am having the same problems with my two-color wraps.

Derek

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.3.23.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 11:29AM

I don't know who Garcia is or what method he uses, but what I do is this:

About where you are going to change color, lay the 2nd color along the length of the rod. Wrap over it 2 or 3 turns. Bring the 2nd color over the top of the first and as you begin to wrap over it, pull the 1st color out so it lays along the length of the blank. After two or three turns, pull the 1st color tight, packing the wrap at the same time. You should wind up with a straight line of "tag" under the wrap. Trim the 1st color and continue wrapping with the 2nd color. If you are going to use the 1st color again, you can also continue to wrap over it until you want to use it, then repeat the "wrap over". Just make sure you keep the tag in a straight line. The "bump" may still be visible, but if it is as straight as possible along the length of the blank, it really helps with the aesthetics. If my second color is going to be of any real length though, I trim it after a couple of wraps and when I want to use the 1st color again, I just "inlay" it just as I did when starting the 2nd color.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.msn.com)
Date: August 20, 2005 12:30PM

If you want a multi color wrap that is easy look at some of the Sulky Original Metallic thread.

# 7024 Blue/Gold/Lavender
# 7025 Silver/Icy Blue
# 7027 Cranberry/Gold/Pine Green
# 7028 Silver/Lt. Copper/Blue
These are a few of the various color combinations.

These are combinations I have used and I think they really look nice. No CP required and easy to use. The wrap comes out with seperate bands of each color.

[www.sulky.com]

Posted by: David Johnson (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 12:49AM

Hi Joe,

I also use the method Garcia describes in his book. Took a little practice, but at least for me it is by far the least time consuming, least frustrating, and I get great results. The method lets you make very thin down to 2 wrap trim bands by a "continuous wrap". I typically make 3 wraps of my trim color, using a NCP thread and normal thread for the main color with no CP. By pulling the treads tight at the end both tag ends of the trim band lie next to one another for a finished look.

To set up I start with the trim color spool on the right and the primary thread color spool on the left and wrap from left to right. I start the wrap freehand with the trim color. I always wrap with the threads coming over the top of the blank, but you can do this from under as well, just adjust the methods. After 3 wraps I then lay the main color thread over the trim thread and align it with the inside of the thread. I then put my thumb over the area where the threads cross to hold them and move the blank to create some slack and reach through the "V" created by the two thread colors and reach from the top and bring the main color around and over the top, again aligning it so it is next to the first wrap. I then cut the trim color and begin wrapping the primary color. Since you pulled the the primary thread around and laid it next to the first wrap you are now wrapping over the thread which will pin it. I then wrap approximately 5-6 wraps and then pull all three theads to tighten the wraps.

The trick I found was to wrap the trim color approximately 1/4 to 1/2 turn longer (3 1/4 total turns) than needed and adjust by pulling one of the trim tag ends to make it exactly 3 wraps. Sorry for the poor explanation! I have tried many other ways to make thin tag ends and this is the one that I now use for all of my wraps. It only adds about 1 maybe 2 minutes at most to my wrapping time of guides ect..

Cheers, David

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: August 22, 2005 02:28AM

Joe, shoot me an email, maybe I can help you with this.

putter@dia.net

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster