I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Attaching Guides Before Wrapping
Posted by: Robert Widmaier (---.69-92-cpe.cableone.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 12:17AM

I have had enough of masking tape attachment of guides while wrapping. Some adhesive always sticks to the rod blank when the tape is removed so I end up cleaning the blank around the guide before wrapping. I did a quick search looking for suggestions on what to use to hold guides in place while wrapping, but came up with nothing. I am interested in what some of you use to hold guides in place while wrapping. I tend to build more fly rods than other types of rods and often use single foot guides. What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Widmaier

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Attaching Guides Before Wrapping
Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.151.95.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 05:34AM

Some use surgical tubing, (or any other type flexable tubing) cut to the size needed for the guide foot. Some of the sponsors to the left carry it.
This may help ya.

Tight lines & smokin' drags

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 07:17AM

I like to use elastic thread (the kind they sell to tie bait onto a hook) to hold guides in place for warapping. It's very easy to snip off after the wrap has control of the guide. I tried using surgical tubing sections but found it a pain to roll them into position along the blank. Tying elastic thread is much faster. For guides with two feet I only have to tie one foot. It is easy to fine tune the guide position after the wrap is complete. If not, the wrap tension is too tight.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 07:56AM

I'm still looking for something better for small, single footed. I currently use masking tape for static testing, then mark the locations, clean off the tape adhesive, and reset the guides with flexcoat guidefoot adhesive. The tubing method doesn't seem to work well for me on the small single footed going on a 8-15lb blank.

Date: August 20, 2005 08:54AM

Robert,
I think I have a great solution. I couldn't find my elastic thread so I used a lightweight vinyl covered wire tie and just twisted it around the gude foot and blank. Easy on; easy off; and holds quite well. I have a continouos roll of the wire ties and just snip off sections in advance. This works extremely well!

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 09:01AM

Do you keep your tape in a cool dry environment? I had the same problem with masking tape that got overheated in my car's trunk - the adhesive seemed to have "flowed" to the outer edges of the tape, and whenever I peeled it off the guides two lines of adhesive remained. It would come off easy, but it was an added chore I did not need. Other tape I had stored in a cabinet inside the in an a/c 'd spaced did not have this problem.

Easier than cutting surgical tubing - use rubber bands. They come in various sizes and are cheap.

Lou

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.an2.sea18.da.uu.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 09:31AM

Elastic thread is the only way to go. It can be found anyplace sewing stuff is sold, have even seen it in grocery stores.

As far as making tape goes use the the blue tape. It does not leave a residue like the regular tape. It does cost a little more but is well worth it.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 09:32AM

Regular masking tape does give off some of its adhesive, but painter's masking tape doesn't. I've purchased painter's masking tape in the regular tan color, or more often I see it in blue. I cut a bunch of 2" strips, around 1/8" wide and double over one end. They're stuck all over my jig by the time I finish a rod, but that method works for me.

The wire tie idea also seems attractive. Thanks for the idea Dave. Will have to give that a try.

Jeff

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2005 09:37AM

I think 1/4" masking tape is by far the easiest and fastest method of attaching guides to a rod. The only time i can remember ever having some residue left on the rod after removing the tape is when i didn't complete the wrapping after several days.
I take a piece of about one inch and lay it right on top of the guide foot then lay the guide on the rod and press the tape down on both sides. After the guide is wrapped i peel the tape off with no residue left over.

Lance

Date: August 20, 2005 09:51AM

I fine tuned the wire tie method. The smaller guides were sliding away as I wrapped up the leg so now I twist the tie around the ring and then around the blank. This prevents the guide form moving away from the wrapping thread. If it still shifts I add a bit of blue masing tape ahead of the guide to keep it in place. For me this is still easier than using rubber bands.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 12:25PM

Electrical heat-shrink tubing works well for holding
guides in place also. Works for me anyhow!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Randy Wilinski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 20, 2005 02:34PM

Regular masking tape does give up its residue to the rod blank and or guides if it's not fresh.
The blue tape should be much better to use as it's made for much longer applications than regular masking tape that's tan colored. I cut in width whatever small/narrow size I want with a razor and never use the edges of any tape that I would use. They make a colored green auto masking tape that might work good as well , although I haven't used it for rods yet, and don't know how long it's shelf life, or sticking life is yet. I hope this helps some.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.165.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 03:24PM

if you're set on using some type of tape, gaffer's tape, sold in professional grip supply shops if you have a photo district nearby or calumet.com sells it in about 2" wide rolls. black, grey and blue i think. this stuff is very strong and is designed to leave no residue. it's a bit of a specialty item so i usually use small hair tie bands from places like walmart, target, kmart, supermarkets, etc in place of the often recommended dental bands or flex coat's guide adhesive which is like a glue stick. my only problem with the flex coat solution is it's hard to move/readjust the guide after it's been attached.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: James Schuldes (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2005 05:16PM

Read this tip somewhere - forgot where - but good tip:

plastic cable ties

[www.cabletiesplus.com]

Use the real small ones - they go on fast and hold well - might just use them instead of wrapping - lol.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 09:44PM

Whats wrong with the stick of "guide foot adhesive" that you warm up with a lighter, add a touch to the foot bottom, warm again, remove access, heat again (if allowed to cool) and stick them in place-wrap, done? Takes 15 seconds per guide at the most?

DR

Posted by: Robert Widmaier (---.dsl.fsr.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 11:00PM

Hey everyone, lots of good ideas here! I have tried both the tan and green masking tape and both have problems leaving a residue. I usually don't leave guides taped to the blanks for more than a few days before I have them wrapped. I think I will try the blue painters tape and the elastic thread followed by the twisty ties. I don't know if I want to go to an adhesive on the guide foot as its the adhesive residues I am trying to avoid. The plastic electrical cable ties are a little big for a single foot # 2 fly rod guide.

Thanks.

Bob Widmaier

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: August 21, 2005 12:08AM

the residue left by the flex coat sticks is like wax, or hot melt glue. very easy to "thumb nail" off.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dyn.avci.net)
Date: August 21, 2005 01:30AM

I remember a fellow from Kalamazoo years ago who told me he used double stick thin masking tape to hold his guides in place while he wrapped. I think his process was to stick the guide to one side of the tape, cut around the foot with small scissors and then simply set the guide on the blank where he wanted it. When he wrapped the guide, he just left the tape in place as a buffer between the guide and the blank.

Never tried it myself but always thought it was interesting.

Posted by: David Olley (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 21, 2005 05:54PM

My life ws made miserable trying to use strips of masking tape to hold small singlefoot guides. Now I use simple rubber bands from the office stationary shop. Cut them to make a single strand, wrap twice around the blank, under tension and tie with a double knot. Slide the guide foot under and adjust position. Once the thread is holding you barely have to touch the rubber with a razor and it's gone. I am a happy man again, but my wife is complaining about finding small poeces of rubber band littering the house.
Dave Olley
Scotland

Posted by: roger cook (---.dialup.hiwaay.net)
Date: August 23, 2005 03:21PM

If you will go to home depot or etc. and get you some cable ties your problem will be solved. They are about $6.00 for 500. Just put it on and pull it down close to tight slide guide foot under it, pull it tight and you have got it. I use the for my static testing of where to place the guides.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster