I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping Question
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 11:58PM

I'm going to start my third rod and I use the v-blocks with the thread comming in from the front with a adjustable eyelet setup which helps you guide the thread at different positions on the jig. I built it from scratch. Its just like the ones you see in the catalogs. My question is, when wrapping the tiptop and the first three or four guides it feels awkward. You know, the tip is not really supported that well. I have to rubberband the tip down with two screws I put in the v-blocks. I have a third v-block that supports the butt section of the blanks. Is this the norm? I really don't like rubberbanding the tip down because it seems to interupt the natural flow of the thread and makes turning the blank uneasy. I don't use much tention. My wraps are good but not a joy to perform on the upper end. Thanks for any input or sympathy. Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping Question
Posted by: Robert Widmaier (---.69-92-cpe.cableone.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 12:37AM

Tom:

I use a home made V block rod jig to build rods and do mainly fly rods in the 3 - 6 weight range. These blanks are probably the most flxible and thin blanks at the tip to work with. I agree that the tip is a bit challenging due to the fact it is only supported on one side. However, I don't seem to be having the difficulties you have described. The thread wrap on the tip is decorative and does not hold the tip to the rod. It sounds like you have you thread a little tight and it is flexing the rod blank. Try placing a V block support as close to the tip section as possible and adjust the thread tension so that it only flexes the tip slightly. When turning the blank to wrap the thread, support the guide tip with a finger of your left hand as you turn the blank with you right hand. That is, if like me, you work with the tip towards your left. About every 5 wraps pack the thread.

I hope this helps.

Bob Widmaier

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 09:26AM

I also use a V block device I made many years ago. To do the tip top I move my thread caddie outside of the upright so that the upright is pretty close to the tip top. I also use less thread tension. Someone on this board also suggested using a fly tying thread bobbin to wrap the tip top and I found that works also.

Good Luck,
Jeff

Posted by: Randy Wilinski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 20, 2005 02:16PM

Use a piece of cotton twine instead of rubber bands to hold the blank down in position to wrap. You can also double wrap the cotton twine around the blank for a bit of smoother tension.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.165.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 03:20PM

on occasion, i have wrapped those first couple of guides (including the tip top) without the wrapping stand. just sat in front of the tv on my sofa and wrapped away. using only the first section with no others attached. i agree, it can be somewhat difficult in the stand. no phone book either for tension, just by feel. and if wrapping a trim band (i often times just do one on the opposite side of the guide's leg when using single foot wire guides) i cut a length of thread from the spool and work it freehand that way too.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 21, 2005 11:39PM

Thankyou very much for your responces. They will help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster