I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson RX7+ Rod blank vs Sage XP blank Question?
Posted by: Michael Hendrickson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 19, 2005 03:06PM

This is my first post on this site so I hope all looks good.
I would like some info on what people on this site think about the
Batson RX7+ 9' 6" 7wt rod blank. Im looking to have a friend of mine build me a steelhead rod. Right now Im fishing a 9'6" 6wt Sage Model XP 696-4.
This set up has been great for me but the grip is to small and I need a fighting butt. When I talked about getting this rod built with the same XP blank as what Im fishing now. I was told that I could save alot of money and that the batson blank would be very close to what Im fishing now. So I would like to know how the batson blank would stack up to the XP blank.
Thanks mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson RX7+ Rod blank vs Sage XP blank Question?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 04:20PM

Hi Mike! Welcome! Personally, I would look more at the RX8+, not the 7+, if you're comparing with the XP. The 7+ will be slightly heavier and slightly more moderate of an action, but is a VERY smooth casting blank and a wonderful performer...it's just diminished in the shadows of it's truly world-class sibling (the 8+). I far prefer the RX8+ to the XP--I think it's one of the finest performing blanks on the market...but definitely we each have our own preferences! The 8+ is more of a tip flex like the XP, but has a "fuller", arguably smoother feel than the Sage. It's extremely light, fantastic fit-and-finish, and as technologically advanced as it gets. But it does cost more.

Another contender would be Dan Craft's Signature V 9'9" 7wt (3pc). Stunning blank that's maybe the lightest out there and has the fastest speed of recovery of any blank I've found. It's a little less tip-action than the XP, but smooth, powerful, crisp...did I mention LIGHT? :) Dan's FT (Fast Taper) Series might be another option--they are offered in both 9' and 10' models, but nothing in-between unfortunately. These are EXTREMELY "fast" (tip-action) blanks that are incredibly tough and able to cast a staggering range of line weights. They're actually more tip-action than the XP, but MAY not recover quite as quickly. Anyway, any of Dan's blanks will be significantly less than the Sage and even less than the RX7+.

Hope this proves helpful!

All the best,

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 04:40PM

Hopefully you get a response from someone who likes to check out and CC a lot of blanks like John Launstein. John would know better than me. He might even have numbers on the RX7+967-4.

"CC" is short for Common Cents which is the system for measuring a rod's action and how much of a certain line it'll throw effectively.

If you don't get the results you want with this question you could also click the search button in the red bar (above) and punch in "XP" or "RX7+". You'll get a ton of good info.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Date: August 19, 2005 04:42PM

Simultaneous posting! I'm glad you chimed in John.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Date: August 19, 2005 04:54PM

That RX7+967-4 blank weighs 2.10 oz whereas the XP 966-4 weighs 1.75 oz.

Hey John (if you're still there) how do you think these blanks match up in terms of ERN?

Mike "ERN" is the part of Common Cents that refers to a blank's power or resistence to bending.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Date: August 19, 2005 05:17PM

I agree with John about the similarities between the XPs and the RX8+. I think the 8+ are more versatile and nicer in actual fishing situations though. My favorite 5-weight right now is an 8+.

However the RX8+ don't come in a 9'6" 6wt 4pc model. Ã…nd in terms of power the RX7+ 7-weights will be close to the RX8+ 6-weights, no?

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 05:34PM

I just built the Dan Craft sig V 10' (9'9") 7 wt. with a 5" fixed fighting butt bringing the length down to about 9'4". It is really light and smooth. Tight loops and high line speed, super sensitive, dead on accurate, and a little over $100 for the blank. As far as the Batson blanks, I haven't tried the new + series but the rx7's were slow and sloppy in comparison and the rx8 were stiffer, faster and more powerful but not nearly as light, sensitive, or responsive and the DC sig V blanks. The only XP I've cast was the 9' 5wt and it was a fine performer. Fast smooth and light. Big$ though compared to Dan's Sig V. The XP is NOT cheaper than the RX8+. It's $80 more.

Tony

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.3.7.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 06:07PM

Also take a look at the St Croix SCV blanks.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 03:06AM

Hi Josh! "think" is the right word as I really don't have objective data other than a few XP's from friends that I have tested...all were slightly stronger than rated (i.e. said 5wt was really a 6) and had AA's in the low 70's and I think one 69 (all 9' 0" lengths). The RX7+ blanks I have CC'd were BANG on for ERN ratings and in the mid-60's to upper-60's for AA (never played with the 967-4 in the 7+, though...the 8+ came in as a heavy 6wt with mid-60's AA). The RX8+ blanks I've tested were also incredibly consistent on ERN but almost all (9') were in the low 70's for AA...much closer to the XP.

By way of correction/clarification...when I noted the RX8+ blanks "cost more" in my post above, I was comparing them to RX7+ blanks, not XP's. As Tony pointed out, they're a fantastic value compared to the Sage blanks and I personally consider them nicer.

Cheers!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster