I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork tape wrap 101
Posted by: Robert Borgsmiller (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 04:29PM

Sorry guys but I'm cheap and didn't buy a video or book and am leaning on you for help. Would someone please tell me how to apply cork tape? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork tape wrap 101
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 07:01PM

Try a search of this board -- you can do that can't you

Date: August 18, 2005 08:59PM

Yeah, I'm just a little lazy. Ok, time to get to it. By the way, that last name of yours sounds familiar. Think I met some people around the Eagle Lake / East Bernard area in Texas. Thanks for the reply too.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: August 18, 2005 09:10PM

Can Overlap or Flush-wrap. Whip ends with thread, then seal. Tape width & blank diameter determine the pitch of the spiral for a flush-wrap, not you. Calculate minimum length of tape needed for a single rod by calculating the area of the blank to be covered in square inches, divide by the width of the tape in inches, and the answer is the MINIMUM length in inches of the tape needed to wrap the blank. -Enjoy! -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

FYI: AREA of the surface of a cylinder = 3.14159 x (ROD BLANK DIAMETER) x (HEIGHT of cylinder) . When you divide this AREA by the WIDTH of the cork tape (usually 1.00 inch), you have the LENGTH of tape needed to wrap over the exposed blank area to be wrapped. ADD 10% for the margin of error factor, and the slant cuts at the ends that waste some length. Don't cut the length or pull off the waxed paper over the contact adhesive until you have dry fit the cork tape and confirmed your layout and proper length needed. If you choose to overlap the edges of this wrap, then dry-fitting the tape before cutting the tape to length is even more important, because that requires a consistent overlap. Probably buying an entire 25 foot roll and having extra stock is better than trying to get it correct to the nearest inch.

It takes about 8 feet of cork tape 1 inch wide to flush-wrap a 24 inch length of rod blank (split grip) whose diameter is about 1.00 to 1.10 inches. This will help you confirm that the units in your own calculation are in the right ballpark. If you buy it by the foot, just buy at least 12 inches over your calculation, because that is easier than cutting it too short. Be frugal, but watch out for being penny wise and pound foolish. LOL, ... -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

Date: August 18, 2005 09:33PM

Gotcha on the amount. I'm building a couple so planned on buying enough for both. I did a search and saw most people opting for a wrap or shrink-wrap at the end opposite the butt. I know I've seen some rods in stores that appeared to have the tape go from the butt of the blank all the way up to the reel seat with the butt cap slipped over one end and eva or hypalon on top of the cork. Am I seeing this correctly? If so it seemed pretty slick. No need to be real neat at either end. I would assume regular adhesive applied to the butt cap and eva? thanks.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: August 18, 2005 11:33PM

That'll work, Bob. -Cliff Hall+++
P.S. ... BTW: In case you're looking for a rod-tip:
SUMMER MOON ROD WORKS has a good selection of large ring ceramic tips & large tubes. The best are not cheap, but worth it. I prefer the styles that have a generous mushroom cap (turbo – UST) or bagel-like ceramic ring (flange – PST) over the guide frame. A surf rod is so tall that the line often rubs the guide frame if the ceramic ring isn’t protruding. Per SMRW and MudHole catalogs.

HARDLOY (BPLT, PB/BPHT) SILICON CARBIDE (PST, BPST)
FUJI’s BPLT-16mm-14/64ths ($4) PST-16-13 ($11) UST-12-18 ($10)
BPLT-20mm-18/64ths ($5) BPST-20mm-12/64ths ($12)
PAC-BAY BPHT-16mm-14/64ths ($NA) BPST-12mm-15/64ths ($ 6)
AM-TAC Holograph TiNitride/Zirconia: HZTT-12mm-13/64ths ($ 5)

Date: August 19, 2005 07:12AM

Thanks. I'm not sure if thats why the guide frames on my older rods are broken. I know they are cheap. It could just be throwing them in and out of the truck. I won't do this with my new rods. But that seems to be a common occurance with me. I'll check those out. I'm definately not against putting some good money into the guides because of this though. Again, thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster