I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Acrylic Pen Blanks
Posted by: Jim Little (---.49.118.238.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 02:47PM

Has anyone turned one of these to be used as a reel seat insert? If so, can the same tools used for turning wood be used on acrylic? I assume heat build up will be a problem.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Acrylic Pen Blanks
Posted by: Doug Eddy (---.mris.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 04:28PM

Jim - I have turned pens on acrylic blanks and standard lathe tools work just fine. There's a little extra heat build up but I usually take lighter cuts on acrylic.

Doug

Posted by: Anonymous User (63.166.216.---)
Date: August 19, 2005 08:06AM

Hey Jim;
I have used them a number of times in the recent past. Yes you can, as Doug said, use a standard lathe. The big thing to keep in mind is heat. When you start to sand the blank keep it and the sand paper wet. I mean dripping wet. I use 1,200 grit paper to start, than go with finer grits as needed. So far two to three grit sizes are all I've needed. I keep a plastic bowl of water handy while sanding. Dipping the sand paper in it to keep it wet. As you are sanding, cup the sand paper in you hand. Kinda underneath the blank to help hold water. If you start to feel ANY heat you need more water. After you get the smooth surface you want, take an acrylic gloss and polish the blank. Make sure the blank is dry from the water first. Just keep the blank on the lathe and apply the gloss with a clean cloth. I found the faster you turn the blank while applying the gloss, the more brilliant the finish. I think that may be something to with the amount of heat that is produced due to the speed.
Oh. Another thing. I learned the hard way. I would recomend turning the blank for shape, then dill through to slide onto the rod blank, and sand and finish last.
I hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Tight Lines and Clean living.
Paully

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 09:55AM

I have use the pen blanks as the core of my encapsulated grips and they work just fine on small diameter blanks but you can only ream them out to about a 1/2" ID, this is the smaller ones "5/8 x 5/8". I have not tried the 3/4" x 3/4" pieces Jesse

Posted by: Jay Lindholm (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: August 21, 2005 12:49PM

One thing to remember when drilling through the blank, go VERY,VERY slow. Take your time and remove the shavings often, allowing the blank and drill bit to cool.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster