I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Musky guides
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: August 16, 2005 12:42PM

Ok, I'm working on my first musky rod - it is on an 8' Allstar blank (thanks Andy!), action will be good for bucktails and lighter jerkbaits. I am planning on doing a simple spiral and going with Forecast Zerconium guides. What do you musky experts think of this configuration:

16/12/10/8/8/8/8/8 (plus the bumper)- the 16 is a double foot guide, the rest are single foot. Bumper will likely be a 12 or 10 double foot. I am thinking a DF will be good here simply for the added durability over a SF - it might be kind of vulnerable hanging off the side of the rod like that??

Any drawbacks with going to single foot guides vs. double foot? I'm a bit leery of the SF's, very tempted to just go with DF's...

I may keep this rod, or I might try to sell it to help finance this incredible addiction. I'm worried that I have planned too many "gimmicks" for this rod. I understand the performance benefits of the split handle, spiral wrap, and single foot guides, but Joe Consumer will look at it like it's a 3 dollar bill :-)
thoughts??

Oh yeah, for winding checks on the split grip area, I had a hard time finding anything big enough. I ended up at Ace Hardware and bought some simple rubber O rings to use - it actually looks really, really good - very sleek and simple, the way I think a musky rod should look :-)

Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Musky guides
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 16, 2005 03:08PM

Hi Rich,

Sounds pretty good. I just did one and I did pretty much the same except I used a #8 fly guide for the bumper (all that it does is prevent the line from eventually rubbing the finish off of the blank) and ceramic fly guides for the last for to the tip!

I have used small single foots on every musky rod that I have built and have had no problems.

Mike

Date: August 16, 2005 03:50PM

thanks Mike - I might go with this;

16 DF
8 fly bumper
12 SF
10SF
8 fly to the tip (4-5 guides)

How does that sound???? I'm thinking of the Forecast black framed guides with blue zirconia rings. Only thing I can't figure out is why they are substantially cheaper than the same guide, with a silver or TICH frame (same blue zirconia ring). Seems odd, are the frame finishes that different??

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: August 16, 2005 04:24PM

I don't understand why anyone would step down guide sizes like that? If you're gonna go 16 with an 8 bumper, go out to the tip with all 8's. Is there a problem with this?

If you are comfy with double foots, go that route. If you think there will be a problem sith the single footers, don' t use them. It took me a test rod to be comfortable with them, but I know there are certain apps which I can get away with them, and others I cannot. to each his own - but you gotta do what is comfortable to you.

Posted by: Gene Rehberg (---.an7.chi30.da.uu.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 09:13PM

Hi Rich, I have built many musky rods and have one suggestion. Check the diameter of your reel, you may want to use a 20 as no. 1 guide. The line may rub on the 16. Good luck, Gene

Date: August 17, 2005 09:15AM

Thanks Gene - reel of choice will likely be a 5500C3 or 6500C3, possibly a Shimano Corsair 400.... Maybe I'll pick up a 20 butt guide so I can play with it.

Billy - I've been wondering the same thing - it doesn't make sense to put a tiny little bumper in there, then jump your guide size back up - esp. if you give some thought to the path the line will take. Is it ok to go 16/8/8/8/8/8/8/8 ? Anybody have any input on this??

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: August 17, 2005 09:38AM

All my rods that I build go like this (I do not use a Bumper, I use my own method which is a variation of everything) 20-12-all 10's. 20-all 12's. 16-10-all 7's. 12-all 7's.

For me, nothing is ever set in stone. At first I tried several different guide set ups, so now I know based on the reel, what the rod is going to be used for - I can quickly determine what guide sizes will probably work off the bat. I still static deflect to make sure the line flow works for me, if there is something I don't like I change things - different guide size, move this guide up, that one down, add a guide, maybe take a guide away & re-adjust.

I also suggest, if it is important for the rod you are building - to test cast it. 90% of my rods casting distance is not important, so I build them basically with an extra guide or 2 so they do not break when I high stick or swing fish up over the rail (party boat fishing). However, all my rods do cast well (I did test cast teh first bunch, so the stripper guide is basically in teh same place on them all), and imo every rod if built halfway decently will cast well with braid. BUT, if you need or want to maximize casting distance you should definately test cast several set ups/arrangements to see which one works best for you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster