I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting rod bumper wrap w/Agatine stripper
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2005 10:37AM

Thinking about using a size 10 or 12 red-ringed agate or agatine stripping guide and utilizing the bumper concept for transitioning the line under a graphite casting blank (7' SCIII). Aesthetically thinking, would you think the bumper guide need be a similar-ringed, double-foot agate guide too? I was going to use a clnag alconite if not. (I have no sense of mix-and-matching colors, my wife still hollers at my clothing combos!) Thanks -- Any help or suggestions apprecitated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting rod bumper wrap w/Agatine stripper
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2005 10:55AM

The bumper guide plays no role in transitioning the line, so it's not really important what the surface is. There's almost no pressure on it to speak off. Use the lowest possible guide for a bumper guide. I am assuming you have the article and know how to set this system up.

Date: August 16, 2005 11:07AM

Thanks Tom, I understand the setup based on the Rodmaker article, I just wondered what would look pleasing to the eye for the style/ring of the bumper in this case -transitioning from an red-ringed stripper to alconite running guides.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2005 11:17AM

I dont' know that such a thing would look bad, but it might look unusual. It would certainly be different.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: August 16, 2005 11:29AM

I am not familiar with the guide set up you describe, but IMO agatine strippers only look good with wire running guides. A good set of REC single foots might work, or wire double footed spinning guides that look like the agate guide without the agate ring.

Date: August 16, 2005 01:02PM

I was thinking that since the agate (and bumper) would be the only visible guides, that the other guides underneath (probably chrome sf alconites) would not be too visible in contrast, and the setup wouldn't look too bad. I 'm partial to red, and just thought a red-ringed stripper would add some pizazz. Thanks for your thoughts and help!

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: August 16, 2005 01:07PM

There are some ceramic guides where the insert matches the frame. Those might look very good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster