I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need advice on getting epoxy into guide feet tunnel
Posted by: keith fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: August 16, 2005 08:06AM

Looking for advice on how best to get finish into those nasty little tunnels between the guide wrap and blank. My current approach in inadequate as the size 6 and 7 guides will come loose from time to time.

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need advice on getting epoxy into guide feet tunnel
Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: August 16, 2005 08:49AM

If you use Nylon thread & no color preserver, it will fill teh tunnel automatically. Even with this, I've had a few single foot guides come loose, and pop out - popping out can be taken care of, for the most part with a locking wrap described in teh Glossary complete with pictures. HAving them get banged around and come loose - the only cure I found is to prevent the rod from being banged around in transport. At least for me that's when th emost damage is done - throwing 10 rods in teh truck, getting to teh boat, and shaking them to get them unstuck is definately a good way to mess up the single foot guides.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.144.60.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 09:02AM

A rounded toothpick works well for me.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 10:31AM

As Art, I too use a toothpick, but one thing I have found to work for me is to fill the tunnels prior to coating the wraps. After mixing the finish I take my toothpick and add small amounts to the ends of the tunnels. I start at the butt guide and work my way to the top. Once all the tunnels have been filled, you will find that most of the finish has been wicked into the tunnels. I then go back and repeat the application until the tunnels no longer continue to wick.

I do this prior to coating the wraps, because it works best while the finish is thin and has not had time to set.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 16, 2005 10:47AM

No Color Preserver Technique: The tunnel will be filled with finish if you start on the end of the guide and work toward the ring. Allow a few seconds on the first coat for the finish to "soak" into the thread before making the close of the finish application at the ring end of the guide. If you watch very carefully your will see the outline of the thread appear which means that the finish is soaking in and wicking to fill the tunnel. If attempts are made to fill the tunnel first you may stop up the air release path and cause air to be trapped under the guide frame which can cause problems with air bubbles working their way out as the finish cures. If the tunnel is blocked for air release it also means that finish can not penetrate and fill the tunnel due to the back pressure. If you apply light coats of finish you may have to dot the end of the tunnel on the second coat with a dental pick or toothpick.

Gon Fishn

Date: August 16, 2005 11:06AM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
> If you apply light coats of finish you may have to dot the end of the tunnel on the second coat with a
> dental pick or toothpick.
>
> Gon Fishn

Or just slop it on and get epoxy all up the frame to the guide ring? lol.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: August 16, 2005 11:17AM

Keith. The solution is really easy: don't leave a tunnel. Put 3 or 4 blocking wraps ahead of the foot. I do this on double foot guides too, although you have to cut the thread and pass it through the guide. Much neater finish overall.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 11:46AM

No need for tools or extra thread. It is all a matter of technique - do as Bill suggested, start at the end of the guide foot and using a thin coat work towards the guide ring being careful NOT to put any finish over the tunnel opening. Turn the rod guides down and let it set for 5-10 min. Through wicking action the finish will fill the tunnel in the same direction you applied the finish and expel all air.

Also, doing the guide wraps 1st with the finish as liquid as possible helps in penetrating the thread quickly. Do the fancy wrap last. So do not delay, apply finish to guide wraps asap after mixing.

Turn rod guide up and let set for 5-10. Remove any excess wanting to form blobs or drips. Let cure. Apply 2nd coat 24hrs later.

Lou

Date: August 16, 2005 11:48AM

Uh, maybe the blocking wraps or locking wraps or whatever block teh tunnel, but that doesnt' mean there isn't air in there. I guess you can call that a cavern instead of a tunnel. Regardless, I'd think you want that filled with epoxy.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: August 16, 2005 12:10PM

Billy. You got a point about creating a cavern of sorts, but I am not sure that it needs to be filled to add strength or whether you are merely adding weight. I have noticed some blotches with CP along the guide foot, but that is another problem. Any thoughts Tom K.?

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 12:17PM

All the advice above deals with applying the finish without the use of CP. If you use CP, then your going to have a difficult time with working it through the threads.

Don, IMHO, blotches are cause by gaps inbetween the threads and not CP.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2005 12:38PM

When you get finish or CP into that tunnel area, you create a sort of a "shoulder" for the guide foot to rest against. This, more than anthing else, is what prevents a guide from loosening or shifting under the wrap under load and over time.

In the tests I did for the RodMaker article on CP, I was quite surprised to find that with guides in wraps where the tunnel was filled and this "shoulder" created, you could apply roughly 3 times the lateral load without any guide shift or movement as you could to those guide wraps where you had just applied CP/epoxy or even just epoxy to the guide wraps with an unfilled tunnel.

Date: August 16, 2005 12:42PM

Adding extra weight - lol. You add extra weight with the locking wraps as well. A teeny weeny bead of finish alongside the guide foot is not going to add any weight to the point where it will make a hill of beans difference. Nor will 6 turns of thread.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: August 16, 2005 12:45PM

Tom - is there any appreciable difference in lateral strength based on whether or not the guide tunnel is filled with CP vs. filled with Epoxy??

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 12:55PM

If you want to get good penetration with your initial coat you can make it with Permagloss prior to applying epoxy.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: August 16, 2005 01:05PM

Stan. Klass Kote epoxy paint penetrates well and is very hard when dry. Save your lungs! Billy - I was thinking more of stripping guides and the gap those feet create. I tend to agree that thread and finish don't weigh much as compared with the weight savings you get as between stainless and titanium. And with a 4 weight (tip), I can't tell any difference in the relative weight of the guides either. What does concern me is that darker color along side the guide foot I get with lighter color threads treated with CP.

Date: August 16, 2005 02:17PM

OK, that's better. That darker color is one of the reasons why I won't use CP on guides anymore. Regardless of what people say, CP does not retain the color 100% - if you wrap white Nylon with CP over a white blank, and over a black blank - you'll end up with 2 shades of white.

Posted by: keith fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: August 17, 2005 08:05AM

Thanks everyone! Air entrapment is something I never even considered. I can see where it can become an issue with the routine I've used lately.

One additional question though, if anyone wants to answer; When applying finish in the direction suggested by Bill or Lou, is it helpful to put down pressure with the brush onto the guide wrap? Kind of drive the epoxy into the tunnel/cavern.

Thanks again.
Keith Fischer

Date: August 17, 2005 08:56AM

The epoxy will soak in without pressure. Once you heat teh epoxy up (if you do that), I don't think it matters what direction you apply the epoxy, it thins, soaks completely though, and all bubbles are removed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster