I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Change of Rod Guides.
Posted by: Bernard Teo (203.127.151.---)
Date: August 16, 2005 12:09AM

Hi,
I'm new here and need some advise.
Anyone can comment if its advisable to change my existing 5-1/2ft Berkeley Boat Rod Guides to the Fuji SIC Rod Guides. It was meant to use mono lines. I want to change it to use Braided lines. Is it worthwile to do it cost wise ?
Thank you for a reply.
Rgds,
Bernard from Singapore

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Change of Rod Guides.
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 01:59AM

I don't know what guides are on that Berkly rod but
I would do is just use the braided line and if the guides
groove you know to put the Sic guides on.
I would bet the braided line will destroy the burkley guides
but I could be wrong. I would just build a better rod in the first place.
I havn't had the best of experiences with most burkley products
but have not bought the brand in a long time.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2005 09:21AM

The cost of quality SIC guides would probably be greater than the rod you have now. But, there are some good alternatives in ceramic guides from Baston, Pac Bay, Sevier, American Tackle, CUI, etc., that would all withstand use with braided lines. Most aluminum oxide guides will stand up to braid and won't break the bank.

Date: August 17, 2005 03:04AM

Thanks to Raymond and Tom for the replies.
By the way my Berkeley Rod Guides is kinda purple colour on the inside. I dont remember the material used for the guides.
Its an old rod. I bought it 15 years ago. Maybe I should just change the rod tip to SIC. (its good enough).
Thanks again.

Cheers

Date: August 25, 2005 02:39AM

Any more advise pls ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster