I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod wrapper springamajig??
Posted by: Michael Friddle (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2005 06:56PM

What is the purpose of the spring or wire that the thread goes through before it meets the rod??

"The early bird gets the worm,.. but the second mouse gets the cheese!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod wrapper springamajig??
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: August 14, 2005 07:45PM

" The early bird gets the worm, ... but the second mouse gets the cheese! "
- Priceless !!!
(That's why the pioneer / innovator is at more risk than the follower / replicator. )

Posted by: Allen Madsen (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: August 14, 2005 08:27PM

It is used to maintain thread tension if you have to back off a few wraps while wrapping

Posted by: Barry McGuire (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: August 14, 2005 08:28PM

Mike.. it was designed to maintain tension on the wrap when straight pressure from the wrapper had to be slackened (backing up to re-wrap a gap,etc.). Iwas never able to adequately get adjusted to it myself,-or the multiple thread feed system,for that matter- and usually wrap simply by holding the spool in my hand or using a bobbin. I,too,would appreciate hearing from the guys who've found these options useful.Barry

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.119.40.69.ip.alltel.net)
Date: August 14, 2005 10:39PM

I made my springamajig (need to copywrite that word, that's a good one!) out of one leg of an umbrella rig. The same kind of rig that guys around here use to troll for striper. Just bent it a little and twisted the eye on the end aroound 90 degrees. I find it to work very well. In combination with the tension on the spool, I can control the thread tension well, and back up if needed about 5 turns. Still wish I had one of those Renzetti's though.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 15, 2005 12:24AM

There's a couple aspects that relate to thread tension.

One relates to tension on the thread itself, and the other related to applying "back-tension" on the thread when you're have over-wraps, etc., to help maintain the perfect wrap you've already made.

There are several ways to handle both aspects of thread tension.

My preference is to tension the thread spool itself for the first, which is probably less traumatic to the thread.

For "back-tensioning", there are a number of ways to help out, using some sort of spring apparatus to take up slack as you unwind the thread you've wrapped - to prevent the "good" threads from losing wrap tension. Easier demonstrated than described in words. Not much to it.

I use a lawn mower throttle cable. Hacksaw blades, screen door springs and other spring materials might work well also to maintain thread tension when correcting "professional over-runs".

No one way is best. Have fun messing around with it and deciding what works for you.

Stan

Posted by: Jeff Heims (---.pokynet.com)
Date: August 15, 2005 01:51AM

I havent built a rod yet, but I've done about 100 wraps ranging from 1/8in on up to 2in, on whats left of a cheap wal-mart-ish rod. I built my wrapper, first with just a mousetrap for tension. Later I used O rings, a spring, a bolt, a nut and beveled washers for the tensioner.
And I used a weedeater throttle wire for the springamajig. It wasnt stiff enough by itself though, but it was long enough that I just doubled it over, and twisted it, making it double the tension. Works perfect. Coulda been longer though, as I can only back up about 3 turns on a 1/4in diameter section of rod. But thats all I've really needed to back up.

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: August 15, 2005 09:23AM

If you need to back up more, you can always manually backreel your main spool to put flex back into your springamajig and then back up some more.....as many times as needed...

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 15, 2005 11:00AM

I like that Stan ( professional overuns ) nice way to say Boo Boo's LOL

I use a spring off a fly tying lamp.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 15, 2005 02:47PM

Bill, the term "professional over-runs" is not original with me. I think i read something written by Tom that called them that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster