I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

My first spiral wrapped rod
Posted by: James Schuldes (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2005 04:04PM

Here is a pic of my first spiral wrapped rod:

[www.onlinedesign.us]

I am very pleased with the performance of this rod. It casts as well or better than my other rods. On the next one I build, I am going to try to place the first 2 guides with more rotation towards the bottom guides and use a less tall "bumper"guide.

I got the blank from the Mud Hole liquidation earlier this year. One of the last Rainshows made by Cascade. Cascade 7' 3 1pc. 15-30lb. 7T 0.735B CLEAR R3/B17

And here is a pic of the first fish that I caught using this rod:

[www.onlinedesign.us]

Muskellunge. From a lake near Boulder Junction, WI on August 6, 2005 at 7:15 pm.
46 inches, 23 pounds, 17 inch girth. After a long fight in hot weather, we were not
able to revive this fish. So, the taxidermist's kids will be going to college after all. My
personal best fish ever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My first spiral wrapped rod
Posted by: James Schuldes (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2005 04:08PM

Sorry for the broken link - here is the pic of the rod:

[www.onlinedesign.us]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 15, 2005 09:16AM

One little trick I found works well for me was with the reel on, tape a tip top on, run the line from the reel though the tip add a little weight to the line for some tension. Now just put your guides on according to the line. Looking at the picture I would have goon smaller with the bumper guide

Just a suggestion
After the guides are on put some tension on the rod and adjust the guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2005 09:20AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: August 15, 2005 09:46AM

James - I live in Woodruff, very near Boulder Jct. Nice fish, too bad that you couldn't revive her. High water temps this summer have made that a common event this summer. Nice job on the rod - I'm currently building my first musky rod on an 8' Allstar blank - it will be a split grip with a spiral wrap (simple spiral). Do you get up this way often? If so, I'd love to see that rod in person, pick your brain a bit :-)

Rich

Posted by: James Schuldes (---.prcw.com)
Date: August 15, 2005 12:33PM

Bill,

Good tip! I will do that on the next one. Smaller bumper too.

Rich,

I get up 3 or 4 times during fishing season. Looking at Labor Day weekend as posible next trip or else Sept 24. Then maybe again in early-mid October. Drop me an email: jgs@onlinedesign.us and I will let you know when my plans firm up.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster