I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tom Reverse taper grip??
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.183.183.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 13, 2005 09:38AM

Tom

Looking at that reverse taper spin grip in the mag, a question comes to mine
How come you put the seat on with the threads to the butt ?
I would think being custom it would be more comfortable in the hand with the threads toward the tip? I realise it does bring the reel down farther, but I would think that could be adjusted.
Not trying to be picky

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tom Reverse taper grip??
Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 13, 2005 10:09AM

Bill,

I think it is merely a matter of preference. I always mount my spinng grips with the threads towards the butt end simply because it is more comfortable to me. Other folks say they are more comfortable with the threads toward the tip. Like I say, personal preference.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.64.12.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 13, 2005 10:23AM

I also try to get away from that " factory " look.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 13, 2005 10:43AM

I also prefer my threads towards the butt on spinning rods. I prefer my a minimal or no foregreip so that my thumb rests directly on the blank. I find it more comfortable that way. I have seen factory rods done both way.

Like Gerald said, it's a matter of personal preference

Mike

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 13, 2005 10:45AM

The article said you can do it either way. No offense meant Bill, but you may want to go back and read over it again. The article said that you can do it either way you prefer but remember to use the ratio according the OD of the seat at the end where it meets the grip. So you would use the same ratio either way, but depending on which way you mount the seat the size of the grip next to the seat there would be different. For what its worth, I thought the grips looked pretty sharp done that way. Very clean and modern looking.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.64.12.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 13, 2005 10:57AM

I did not read it. I just looked and thought I would ask. I was just wondering. Just got the mag yesterday.
I like looking at pictures Dooo

Mike I see what you mean, with the threads forward it would be a little longer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2005 10:59AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster