I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

question for Mark Janeck or others?
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: August 11, 2005 12:57PM

Mark, I've admired your use of toe rings for trim/winding checks. I'm currently building a split grip musky rod, and I'm in need of some neat decorative checks - would like to go with toe rings from Wally World, or possibly regular smaller sized (3-6) finger rings. My question is this - you've stated you solder the toe rings together at the back - what kind of solder do you use, would you care to share the technique? I have soldered everything from electronics to water pipes, but never a toe ring!! Thanks in advance for any help/insight!!

Rich

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question for Mark Janeck or others?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.75.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 12, 2005 09:36AM

I don't solder mine. But put them over a threaded base and clear them with the thread. They are soft and easy to work

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: August 12, 2005 09:55AM

Hi Rich,

I have only soldered a few of them. The ones that I did solder were sterling silver and I used your basic lead free solder. Once I soldered the ring, I filed down the solder and polished it, the end result was a barely noticable solder line. Many of the rings found in Walmart are plated or made of cheap white metal, I try to find ones that are made of silver.

Best Fishes,
Mark

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Date: August 12, 2005 01:53PM

Thanks - I bought some last night, and the toe rings are actually too small for the musky blank I'm building on!! I did notice that they are pretty junky metal too - not exactly what I want on this rod. My next step is to find some affordable sterling silver small size finger rings to use. I've checked @#$%& and with the shipping they charge, you end up paying $6-9 for a ring! Didn't really want to spend $27 for three winding checks, I'm going to investigate something else :-)

Date: August 12, 2005 01:58PM

Yes, at walmart it is really hit and miss. What they have one day is gone the next. Their product line must turn over very quickly. When I see some that I like I usually buy them all because I know next time they will not be there. I stay away from the junky ones.

Mark

Mark Janeck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: August 12, 2005 01:59PM

Sounds like you will be better off just checking sponcers on the left for metal winding checks ??

Date: August 12, 2005 02:02PM

I've used the big aluminum coloured winding checks from Merrick/Summer Moon and they are super nice, great quality checks. Very unique but a bit pricey.

Mark Janeck

Date: August 12, 2005 03:15PM

Bill, I was having a hard time finding them in the diameter I need - being that I am building a split grip musky rod, the checks needed between the "split" portion are fairly large. I'll "check" again and make sure I'm not missing something.

thanks Mark - I will check Summer Moons selection...

I love this board - thanks for the help guys!!

Rich

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.30.141.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 12, 2005 09:08PM

I like using the aluminum ones from jann's. Pretty nice quality checks for 1.50 each.

For large diameter silver, look into regular finger rings, especially in many malls in the "aisle carts" You can find some cool looking stuff for pretty cheap. My wife is a silver freak so we hit all the silver stands we see and I've been starting to pick stuff up for my own use. Also, Target, at least around here, usually has very nice quality silver jewelry for low cost. Even a plain silver band can look really nice, especially with a couple extra bucks spent taking one into an engraving shop.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster