I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Home made wrapper??
Posted by: Michael Friddle (166.82.135.---)
Date: August 11, 2005 10:24AM

Those of you that have made your own wrappers and used a slide track down through the middle of the base, where did you find the slide tracks? I checked the local home stores but found nothing.

"The early bird gets the worm,.. but the second mouse gets the cheese!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home made wrapper??
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2005 10:41AM

Go to Rockler Hardware there in Greensboro and you can find much more of this sort of thing. They're located back behind all that mess at the Wendover/I-40 interchange.

Posted by: Michael Friddle (166.82.135.---)
Date: August 11, 2005 10:55AM

Thanks Tom!!

"The early bird gets the worm,.. but the second mouse gets the cheese!"

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 11, 2005 10:59AM

I made my wrapper out of wood. Took one piece 6"x6' wide for bottom took another 6"x6' wide ripped off the both outside edges with a table saw, with blade set at agnle;. then ripped board in half (blade strait) turned beveled edges toward each other to create a chanel (wider part facing down). Then succured them to bottom piece. Cut 6x8" pieces for my rod support bases, cut 8"piece 1"wide at top by what ever angle use used on boards I ripped. Nailed and glued to center of 6x8" base piece so it would slide back and forth in chanel created by the first assemble. I built some extra rod support pieces a little taller without chanel piece on bottom to use as free standing supports for longer rods. I then used candle wax in chanel so it would slide back and forth easer.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 11, 2005 01:31PM

I made mine with 1 1/2" buy 1 1/2" aluminum angle screwed onto a 3 1/2" buy 3/4' wood. Leaves a gap between the angle of 3/4"

Posted by: Randy Wilinski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2005 06:22PM

I made my wrapper/power lathe for nothing at all and still use it thirty plus years later.
Nothing fancy but it works great.
I was 8 years old when I made it without a dime to my name. lol
A scrap piece of 2" x 6" x about 18 to 20 inches is all that's needed for a "base".
A pair of plastic caster wheels 2 1/2 " in diameter at each end inserted into two holes drilled in each end for the caster's stems did the trick there.
A little masking tape on the wheels to protect the blanks.
Three lengths of cotton twine with three screw eyes for tie downs to keep the blanks from rolling off the casters and three more screw eyes on the oppostie side of the first three to secure the cotton twine and you're in business. I put a couple more holes in the wood to put spindles in for thread spools. The spindles are short pencilswith a nail running through the pencils to keep the pencils from falling through if you pick up the wrapper to move it or store it away on a shelf or in a closet, etc etc etc.
I use a C clamp to hold the wrapper down when I use it as a power lathe with a variable locking speed, reversible drill in a drill stand that only cost me a buck and already had at the time anyway.
The whole deal excluding the drill stand cost me nothing but a little time. The drill stand was already purchased and was only a buck. Total cost: One Dollar !!! ;-)

I read the latest article about the homemade wrapper made for $260 ... nice and resembles a Renzetti lathe ... but I still wouldn't spend that much money on what I can make for next to nothing.
These guys are coming up with expensive "solutions" to what should be a simple and cheap way to get the job(s) done. I am amazed at what the dollar can buy though !!!

Good wrapping.
Randy Wilinski

Posted by: Robert Borgsmiller (---.dllatx37.covad.net)
Date: August 11, 2005 10:23PM

Could you post a picture of that?

Date: August 12, 2005 10:05AM

Wish I could post a pic of that ... but Hurricane Ivan last year knocked out my all-in-one-center so my scanner is out of order.

You can email me if you need to ask me any questions about it.
Sorry about the lack of a pic. It is too easy to make though!

There are a few other things I started out with that are still at a minimal cost.
If you wanna know what it really requires to start out and keep it simple lemme know.

Good wrapping.
Randy Wilinski

Date: August 12, 2005 03:32PM

Hate to hijack this thread but I have a question, how much distance between the casters? I'm assuming that they oppose each other.

Date: August 12, 2005 03:32PM

Hate to hijack this thread but I have a question, how much distance between the casters? I'm assuming that they oppose each other.

Date: August 12, 2005 06:06PM

The casters touch each other and turn opposite each other as they turn, even with the rod in place. Later on, the one side developed a slight gap between the wheels, which I tightened the stems of the casters to come closer to each other, with fishing line wrapped around the stems.

Lemme know if you need anything else.
Good wrapping.
Randy Wilinski

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 12, 2005 11:27PM

The latest issue of RM has an article relating to just this topic.

Cruising scrape metal yards can give ideas. Watch out for snakes & unstable metal piles while exploring.

Stan

Date: August 14, 2005 11:03PM

Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster