I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod refinish
Posted by: Michael Friddle (166.82.135.---)
Date: August 11, 2005 07:11AM

A friend gave me 4 old fiberglass rods to practice on before I try to build my first stand-up. Most of the rods are white and have lost all the shine. I read Toms article on redoing old rods and he said to use Permagloss. On the white rods that I have, are they white just on the outside or white throughout? I would think that the sanding would not remove any white to expose another color.

Can I also heat the real seat and remove them as well?

Thanks for your help!

"The early bird gets the worm,.. but the second mouse gets the cheese!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod refinish
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2005 09:09AM

Most likely those blanks are painted white. Fiberglass is a very light colored material, but it's not bright white. If you need to repaint, you can coat with enamel and then overcoat with a clear urethane. Or, you can tint some Permagloss with white pigment (go easy - it doesn't take too much) and do the job all in one step. If these are practice rods you might as well practice.

Posted by: Michael Friddle (166.82.135.---)
Date: August 11, 2005 09:34AM

Would the pigment be any type? Can you recomend any?

"The early bird gets the worm,.. but the second mouse gets the cheese!"

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2005 09:49AM

TAP pigment, fiberglass gel coat pigment, or even the pigment from the bottom of a settled jar of Testor's paint.

White is a little tougher to work with, however you're working on top of a very light colored surface to begin with so it won't be nearly as difficult as if you were trying to paint a grey blank, white.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 11, 2005 02:11PM

Go to your neighborhood paint store and for a buck or two acquire an ounce or two of TITANIUM DIOXIDE. An ounce or two will be a lifetime supply. It is a white powder, and is universally used in all white pigments. A tiny pin point full is sufficient to make any rod pure white with epoxy or urethanes. Put a tiny pinch into your mixed epoxy, and it will turn white as a sheet. Same for a portion of Permagloss. Do not attempt to put it into the bottle of Permaglass -- it will set up in the bottle. Add it to a portion poured out into another container. Its perfect for coloring Rod Bond. I demonstrated at Charlotte how to us it to bring cork filler to the exact shade of cork desired. In the entire coating/paint industry anything that is white, probably got that way with TITANIUM DIOXIDE.
Ralph

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 12, 2005 09:00AM

Ralph, You keep adding cork dust to the rod bond till you get the desired color?

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 13, 2005 09:40PM

you can never get the desired color by adding ONLY cork dust. It will always be to dark. You then get the desired color by adding TITANIUM DIOXIDE until you match the cork being repaired..
Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster