I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Integrity of all-metallic thread wraps
Posted by: Shane Hall (67.189.90.---)
Date: August 10, 2005 04:15PM

I have been toying with the idea of wrapping a 5wt flyrod completely with metallic threads. Will this diminish the the integrity of the wraps? If so, how noticeable will the difference be and how long will it shorten the longevity of the wraps? Also, what problems or obstacles should I be aware of while wrapping with nothing but metallics? Thanks for any comments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Integrity of all-metallic thread wraps
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 10, 2005 04:19PM

Metallics are actually stronger than Nylon. This has been dicussed many times here. I use 99% size A metallics on all my wraps, including Musky rods and have never had a wrap fail.

Mike

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: August 10, 2005 04:19PM

Not sure what that means? "Diminish the Integrity?

Gudebrod HT metallic is stronger than A Nylon. You need to do a good job getting epoxy into teh tunnel since it cannot soak into teh thread. Only problem is the Fly Fishing Police will issue you a summons every chance they get.

Posted by: Dan Colville (---.bflony.adelphia.ne)
Date: August 10, 2005 06:29PM

I use mettalics alot. In my opinion the look amazing. Once great thing is no CP is needed. Most customers that i have used HT on their rods want it on the next. The HT really glimmers in the sun once the epoxy is applied.

Dan Colville
Buffalo New York

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 10, 2005 07:06PM

I have several of my own/family rods that are wrapped in total metallic, not ONE problem!

Only thing I dis-like about most metallics are the fact that they are hard to work with and sometimes the foil finish will strip off as you're wrapping-especially if you like using a lot of tension-and you have to start over on that area.

If you treat the thread like it's a "foil over nylon" and be careful you'll do just fine.

DR

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 10, 2005 07:29PM

I have found that the Sulky metallics are a LOT easier to work with (more colors also) They don't seem to tangle and kink like some do. The fact that they are available at many fabric stores helps also

Mike

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: August 10, 2005 08:02PM

I built a 10 1/2 foot surf rod with all Sulky metallic. Looks sharp and I fish it hard. No problems and expect none.

Posted by: Shane Hall (---.clark.wa.gov)
Date: August 11, 2005 01:09AM

Wow! Thanks for the input. This website is a gem.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2005 05:48PM

If you're haveing trouble with the metallics tearing while wrapping, try the @#$%& thread tensioner - works very well.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: August 13, 2005 01:12PM

A year and a half ago I built a 9ft. 6wt. with only silver metallic thread for wraps for a customer. Except for a liberal coating of fish slime this rod is still in great condition. He came by last week to brag about 4 bass over 5lb. he had in his livewell, on this rod.. This guy fishes 2 or 3 days a week, mostly with this fly rod. If it held up for him it will hold up for almost anyone. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster