I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

surf rod
Posted by: Robert Borgsmiller (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2005 02:42PM

Hello all. I have a question about blanks. I would like to build a 12' conventional surf rod to use down here on the Texas coast. I will be throwing 4-6 ounce(spider) surf weights using bait. The rod I currently have states 3-8 oz but it almost folds in half with that much weight. I also would like a blank that is not going to cost an arm and leg. Any help much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: surf rod
Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2005 03:46PM

For that weight range, the Loomis 1448 is hard to beat. The Rainshadow 1418 is great too, but you're at the upper end of the weight range for that rod. The Rainshadow 1508 should fit the bill as well, as would the Lami 150-2MH.

Posted by: David Smith (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 09, 2005 04:29PM

The SU 1502F at fishsticks4U 'specials' seems to hit the middle of what you ask and Robert there is most helpful
as are most sponsors. At 12' 6" it is a bit long but I got mine just the other day and it sure seems to be a
real nice blank.

Date: August 09, 2005 04:44PM

Thanks for the replies. I have a loomis gwr9000c, so I know their quality as well as their price. I ran across [shop.mudhole.com] earlier today. They have a 11'6" for under $50. It's under the Cascade liquidation but I called and they said it is a Seeker. Don't know about either company so opinions are invited. If I found a steal please give me first crack at it. Also I've never built a rod this big, should I use different thread?

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 06:35PM

Seeker mades GOOD surf rods.

Date: August 09, 2005 07:50PM

I'm going to wait and get some more responses before I hurry up make the wrong decision, but I was hoping to hear that. At that price I'm skeptical, so please, anyone else?

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 10:07PM

The Lamiglas SB1215M is a good blank for throwing that amount of weight, however it is a 10 footer. That's really all you need though.

Date: August 09, 2005 10:18PM

Thanks. I have a pretty good 10 footer and even with the difficulties with my 12 I still get greater distance from it. I'm almost exclusively a surf guy and I guess sort of a freak about distance. It could be my casting method though, I've screwed worse things up.

Posted by: Matthew Robinson (---.49.123.35.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: August 10, 2005 12:15PM

I suggest the mudhole, cascade su1502. it's like 95 bucks and a great deal. I am building three of them right now. and it will throw as much wieght as you would want and not get spongy feeling. The lower end on this rod is probably 6oz and a small chunk. but with a properly tuned reel, this rod will put 6oz over the rainbow. You will like it for sure.

Posted by: William Harvey (65.14.20.---)
Date: August 10, 2005 03:20PM

I have bought a plenty of the Mud Hole Special Surf Rocket LSB1322M rods, they're 11 feet but in my opinion all the length you need. They say they're rated for up to 10 oz. but that's the top end, they work with 6 and bait very well. For their price you can get two of them and guides for the price of a comparable Lami and while they may not have the mystique of a higher priced blank, they work just fine and I'd rather have two rigged up than one!

Date: August 10, 2005 04:40PM

That's pretty convincing. Sounds like a plan. I'll keep you updated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster