I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly blank for smallmouth
Posted by: Tom Church (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 07:19AM

I' ll do this again and maybe get it right. I am looking for a 5wt 4 piece blank for smallmouth. I will be fishing the Androscoggin which is a fairly large river. I would like a fast action that doesn't break the bank.

Thanks
Tom Church

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly blank for smallmouth
Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 07:49AM

Sure you don't want something a little heavier to toss Clousers and such? A 5wt seems pretty light for smallmouth sized flies. Most folks I know look more to a 6 or a 7wt (my weight of choice). The usual suspects on the sponsor list can fill your needs...browse around.

2 cents,

Tim

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.64.247.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 08:05AM

Tim is right if you are going to toss heaver flys. Try doing a search of this board for suggestings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2005 08:07AM by bill boettcher.

Date: August 09, 2005 08:16AM

Actually the fly of choice for the folks I will be fishing with is a Sneaky Pete. Not a real heavy fly.

Tom

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2005 09:07AM

I use a 5-weight for all my smallmouth fishing. It's a good choice and makes even the 1- and 12 inches fun. I also use an 8 and half foot rod rather than a 9, but that's personal preference. Dan Craft has a nice 9 5-weight in 4 piece design. I also have a Forecast model in the same specs that Bill Batson got for me in Charlotte this past year. It's a little heavier and slower reacting than the Dan Craft, but these two also fall into different price categories as well. Either will work nicely depending on how much you want to spend. Either will cast even a large Sneaky Pete with authority.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 01:33PM

Tom: the Rainshadow RX7 (not the "plus", though that's a wonderful blank) is a great choice for bass, IMO, and is very reasonably priced. It's an IM6 blank that's plenty strong and has a fish-all-day moderate-fast action. Lots of model options as well.

If you do look at the Dan Craft blanks, the FT in FOUR weight would probably be my choice as it casts a 5wt or 6wt line beautifully and has enough reserve power to handle the biggest bass in the water...and then some. Great blank at a great price. We'd be happy to put together a quote for you on either of these or anything else you have in mind.

All the best,

Date: August 09, 2005 02:20PM

Tom, Which Dan Craft and Batson blank are you referring too?

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster