I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat pilot drill bits
Posted by: Lance Bosma (---.rapidwebllp.com)
Date: August 09, 2005 04:40AM

Does anyone know where one could find the jig to make the flex coat pilot drill bits? I have been looking but have not been able to find itfor a decent price. I have found the bits themselves on @#$%& and some other sites but they go for way more then for way more than what i am willing to spend . Thank you for your help. Lance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat pilot drill bits
Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 05:35AM

FishSticks4U, one of the sponsors of this site, has them and good prices too! I've found Robert to be extremely helpful. Ask to speak to him and good luck.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 08:35AM

I guess if you don't want to pay for it, then you can't get it. Make it yourself.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2005 08:57AM

The pilot tube is pretty much just a piece of short 1/4 inch aluminum tubing. The jig is helpful in maintaining alignment while the epoxy cures. But, you could probably fashion your own home made jig if you don't want to spring for the Flex Coat model. Still, it's not much to spend to make these tools that will last you forever. Spade bits can be found at most discount hardware stores for just a buck or two apiece. You don't need highly quality bits to bore these arbors.

Custom Tackle Supply is one place that I know carried the jigs. Call and ask if they have any. I'm not sure what the price is.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 09, 2005 10:00AM

The Flex Coat jig is WELL worth the price! The thing makes making numerous pilot drills a very simple task. I guess you could spend a few hours or days whittling one out of an exotic wood and come up with something almost as perfectly aligned. If you are drilling out a lot of arbors of different sizes NOT having a jig is false economy. If you are not doing many just work the arbor material by hand with a round file and be done with it. Buy the thing make some extra bits and sell them on @#$%& for enough to recover your initial cost!

Gon Fishn

Home made 'jig' so to speak
Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: August 09, 2005 04:33PM

I too wanted to try these bits, but didnt feel like springing for the cost. Here's how I made mine. I purchased a cheap set of pilot bits at my local hardware store and bough some 1/4 tubing. I then mounted a block of wood into my drill press, chuced up a 1/4" bit and drilled a 3/8" deep hole in the block. I cut a length of 1/4" alum. tubing, and put it in the hole, chucked a spade bit into the drill press, put some 5 min. epoxy on the tubing, and lowered the bit into the end of the tube and held it for a bit to allow it to set up. After letting them cure I had a decent set of pilot bits that are sqare and cut true.

Scott Sheets

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 05:47PM

I built mine much the same way as Scott did, using some 1/4" X 1" aluminum spacers from Tru-Value Hardward. The slots in spade bits marked with fairly accurate measuring, fine Sharpie and cut with a heavy-duty Dremel cut-off wheel (wearing eye protection!). The bits were then secured in a vice and the aluminum tubes pounded into place using a rubber mallet. I didn't use epoxy with this technique and didn't need a jig. A set of spade bits are inexpensive, as are the aluminum spacers.

Stan

Posted by: Lance Bosma (129.176.109.---)
Date: August 10, 2005 01:23AM

Thank you for the help. I willl find a way. Lance

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster