I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Extension
Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: August 08, 2005 11:24PM

I am performing my first extension and want to make sure I have it down correct before I glue things together. My blank's O.D is .35 inches I have the blank sliding down into the extension 3.2 inches (this is a little more than 6 times the blanks O.D). Does this sound correct or should I overlap the two a little more? The rod is a sc3 60lf blank going to be used for gills and crappie with light line.

Thanks,

Dan Grulke

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Extension
Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.151.220.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 05:00AM

You want the extention piece to go in as far as the reel seat. To be more clear, you want the reel seat over your extention completely. If you can go up the blank even further without much problem, do it.

Tight lines & smokin' drags...........

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2005 11:32AM

An overlap of 6 times the diameter is more than sufficient. What are you using for the extension piece?

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 12:13PM

I am using a scrap piece of graphite blank that is not tapered and about the same wall thickness as the blank. In fact I am trying to imatate the smallie rod that you described in a previous Rodmaker article (except it would be used for panfish). I just was not sure if 3.2 inches was enough of an overlap since it would only reach were the reel foot would go.

Thanks,

Dan Grulke

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: August 09, 2005 12:27PM

That's not going to be a problem. I and a bunch of my friends extend quite a few blanks used for much bigger fish - we try to make them all overlap by 4", regardless of where the reel seat goes - I have a few which I extended for myself which the joint is underneath the foregrip, and I havent' had any problems whatsoever, nor do I expect to.

Somethign that makes me wonder - we are afraid to extend a blank unless there is a 4" overlap underneath the grips, where the rod doesnt' even flex, yet we're comfortable using a 2-piece rod which has a 2" overlap on a portion of the blank which flexes - and there isnt' even any adhesive to hold it in place.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2005 02:11PM

The tip and mid-section areas of most rods never come under much strain - they flex. They give. They bend. There's not much pressure on the mid to upper sections of rods. The butt area is different - this is where the strain of a good fish ends up - it's where the power in the rod comes from. If you load most rods to the breaking point, they'll all break down low near the butt, just ahead of where you're holding them. Not in the tip or mid-areas (unless you're high-sticking them).

What are you using for an extension? If it's a aluminum tube, then you won't have a split out regardless and you needn't worry about having a reel seat over it. If graphite or glass, just reinforce the forward edge as the aticle showed and you'll be fine. If your blanks fit together well, then 3.2 inches of overlap on such a rod would be plenty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster