I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

book info
Posted by: Shirley Lowe (---.rev.o1.com)
Date: August 07, 2005 10:18PM

Would like to know if any one would direct me to the best way of learning to build a rod?I would like to get started in this art and is there one book better than another or dvds? What would any of you suggest.Thank you in advance. I know nothing as to how to get started. Shirley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: book info
Posted by: Johnathan Sams (---.ij.net)
Date: August 07, 2005 10:23PM

There is a complete list of books on the FAQS page at the bottom. I would rank Tom Kirkmans book called Rod Building Guide right at the top. For something like $14 and with 100 color pictures it\'s pretty hard to beat. It\'s also the most up to date of any of them. The two Flex Coat books are good to. Really simple but with good illustrations and to the point instructions. Can\'t go wrong with any of these.

You can also learn from the FAQS page and maybe from some articles in this sites on~line library. Also this is the most active and friendliest rod building forum around. You came to the right place!

Posted by: Shirley Lowe (---.rev.o1.com)
Date: August 07, 2005 10:26PM

Thank you for the info ill look into it shortly.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 07, 2005 10:28PM

Without a doubt, the best investment that you could make would be $15 for a copy of Rodbuilding guide by Tom Kirkman available from Mudhole.com or most of the sponsors listed on the left. It is a step by step guide to building a rod with over 100 photo's.

That and reading through the Library, FAQ and clossary pages at the top of this site (check out the Photo page also)

Simply post any questions that you might have and you will get lot's of help from people on this board. Just be aware that there is no such thing as building "a" rod!!! It is a hopelessly addicting hobby and no one can build only one rod.

Mike

Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: August 07, 2005 10:29PM

I have no idea where you are located, but next February in Charlotte, NC you can attend the national rod builders show. It's the biggest and best custom rod building event anywhere in the world. They have a beginners class in rod building and plenty of other builders there to show you the ropes. Great crowd and very helpful. If you're in the area it's worth your while to attend. Heck, even if you're not in the area it's worth your while to travel and attend! Only $12 to get in and the basic rod building seminar is free.

Also the video by Flex Coat is good if you learn better from that sort of thing. But Johnathans book choices are on the money.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 07, 2005 10:39PM

Definitely get Tom Kirkman's book. It will get you off on a very good foot. As Jonathan mentioned, this site contains a huge quantity of rod-building info and all the folks are friendly & helpful.

There are several tapes & DVDs available.

In my view, Ken Preston's DVD on building a saltwater flyrod has most of the building concepts in it and are applicable to building most any fishing rod. There are a bunch of other good VHS & DVDs also available, including Doc Ski's.

Once you start into this craft, you're likely go get "hooked".

Posted by: Magnus Högberg (---.handelsbanken.se)
Date: August 08, 2005 04:39AM

I haven't read Tom's book although i'll probably buy it pretty soon.
One book that have helped me a lot is Dale Clemens "Advanced Custom Rod Building".

----------------------
Magnus Högberg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster