I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building some Stand Up rods, need advice on grips, blank selection, etc.
Posted by: Stephen Altenbach (---.sav.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 05, 2005 10:59PM

Hey guys I am about to build some stand up rods for florida swordfish and bahamas tuna/marlin and wahoo. I am putting new Tiagra 50WLRS A's on these rods.

I would like the rod to be 5'6'' and I plan on using Winthrop Gold 50-130lb Roller guides. I would like to get away with using a stripper, 3 guides, and a tip top. What do ya'll think?

The butt will be Stuart UB2SC Short Curved Black/Gold Unibutt.

What I need y'alls help on is the blank and the grip. I would really like to do a leather grip with the gold spiral inlay. I know I can get these from Merrick Tackle. I am currently setting up a business account so I can access their wholesale prices. Is there a better place to buy from?

I have heard to use these grips you must first coat the EVA tips with a special glue and then wrap over them several times, then finish. Any advice?

Also, as far as the blank is concerned, I am looking at the Calstar T6455XH. It has the following specifications:

Rating 50-100lbs
Tip- 12
Butt 1.050
Action: Extra Fast

I plan on doing a swordfish weave and a weave of the boat name. I am also thinking about doing some diamond wraps underneath the guides for a really custom look. it will be all black and gold. These will be my first big game rods, but I want to go all out, as I will use them as examples for future customers. If ya'll could help me out with the blank/grip that would be great! Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building some Stand Up rods, need advice on grips, blank selection, etc.
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 05, 2005 11:13PM

I think Merrick gets the LEather grips from Biscayne, which should be right near you.

How's the Swordfishign been? I went out last month out of North Miami with one very brief run off and that wa it for teh night. HEard 1 other boat that caught. Of course the nextnight the boat I went on had 2 smaller ones 60 & 100#'s.

Posted by: Al Johnson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 06, 2005 04:53AM

Hello, I have just built a stand up rod on the same blank and put penn 50vsw's on it. I think the blank is great but it looks a little thin. If I make anymore I was thinking about going with the 6455XXH. Maybe its just me but I would consider the next size up? These 50 class reels can really put down alot of drag and why not go a little heavier on the blank just in case.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: August 06, 2005 09:03AM

Not enough guides for starters. You really need the Rodmaker issue that had the great article on stand up rods. I don't build them myself much but the article really pointed out all the little tricks that you have to use to get a rod that fights the fish rather than the fisherman.

Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2005 02:26PM

Stephen,
Where else can you get the leather with gold spiral unibutts and also the Winthrop roller guides? I have made a 6455XXH Calstar for my 50 LRSA reel and it feels good. Thanks, I do not have an account with Merrick.
Sanford Hochman

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: August 06, 2005 03:59PM

Sanford,
Summer Moon will get you anything that's in the Merrick catalog.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2005 05:04PM

I use the XXH for bluefin - it's overkill for yellowfin. The XH is perfect in my opinion.

Posted by: Stephen Altenbach (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: August 06, 2005 09:48PM

Clyde,

Sorry to be so picky, but when you say that blank is perfect for Yellowfin, do you mean 300lb yellowfin or stuff we will encounter more often like 50-150lbers.

Since this blank is 5'6'' I will have to chop off 18 inches for the butt, obviously. How will this affect the action? I was going to buy a 6' blank from Chaos made by Black Magic that I liked alot, but since I want a 5'6'' rod, and their blank is 6', wont cutting it down 2 whole feet effect the action more than cutting down the 5'6'' blank for the butt?

Thanks for ya'lls help. First time is always the hardest, I want to get it right!

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: August 07, 2005 08:40AM

I'm talking about the 50+ pounders we catch on the east coast.

I forgot you were using a unibutt, I always build my 50's blank through. I think the XH would still be fine trimmed from the butt and put in a uni butt though. I have used the XXH trimmed for a short curved unibutt for bluefins and put an 80W on it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster