I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tuna/marlin fly blank
Posted by: John DeWitt (216.29.24.---)
Date: August 05, 2005 03:08PM

Hello everyone,

I've been toying with the idea of building a 15 wt. fly rod in hopes of chasing small bluefin tuna and some marlin. I have a buddy that wants to put together a trip and I figured I might as well get a couple of rods built for the occassion. If the budget is $500/rod, what would you suggest going with? I definitely want a 2 piece blank. What would (or what have) you put together in this scenario? A fighting butt with a gimbal to fit a belt? Fuji SIC #8 single foot guides? A split grip? A long foregrip? I've got a pretty good idea of what I want but some of your thoughts/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tuna/marlin fly blank
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 05, 2005 03:58PM

Sounds like fun Check this out I found it on the internet [www.flyfishinsalt.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2005 04:11PM

I' ve built a good many of these. You want an 8' (preferred) or 8'6" (max) length rod. I used to build these on either stout hot shot blanks or back bouncing blanks. Fuji seat and guides with about a 2 to 3 inch integral fighting butt and 7-1/2" casting grip fronted with a 4" fighting grip. No space between the two - turn them as one unit.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: August 05, 2005 04:13PM

John,
I haven't fished Marlin but I have done Sails and Yellowfin. We have a big game 15 wt. 4pc composite that will hold up to anything you put on the end of it. The model number is CSF 96 154, 8', 15wt, 4pc. This is a glass/graphite composite so it isn't too heavy yet is super durable.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: August 05, 2005 04:15PM

Oh and you might want to check, I think the new IGFA rules state no gimbals. I know we had to remove them. I also think there is a 4" limit on the fighting butt.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: John DeWitt (216.29.24.---)
Date: August 05, 2005 04:35PM

Thanks for the quick responses. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't gimbals OK as long as only a fighting belt is used and no harness? Not that it matters to me... I'm not trying to set any records. Cork or EVA grips? Great suggestions so far guys. Thanks.

John

Date: August 05, 2005 04:38PM

We build ours with cork, very similar to what Tom stated. A full wells with a 2" gap then a 4-5" cigar grip.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster