I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spigot ferrules.
Posted by: Goran Sandberg (---.011-42-73746f21.cust.bredbandsbolaget.s)
Date: April 18, 2002 06:11PM

Hi all, and thanks for all tips received.

Would like to know the benefits(?) of the spigot ferrule vs the sleeve over type.
On many expensive blanks/rods I have noticed there are spigot ferrules. On most inexpensive rods one will find the sleeve-over type.
I have read somewhere (I think it was posted in this forum) that the sleeve-over type is harder to produce but also gives the best perfomance. Is this really true? Cant figure this out. If that was the case then the later one should be more expensive. Right?
I personally prefer the spigot type.

Does anybody have any opinions about this?

Best regards:
G. Sandberg

Re: Spigot ferrules.
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 18, 2002 09:47PM

The tip over butt would seem to offer advantages that the spigot can't. The spigot was developed first I think but has falled a bit by the wayside as the sleeve over developed into the tip over butt and has been adopted by more and more makers. You won't find tip over butt ferrules on cheap rods though. What you see on those are the ones where the tip actually goes into the butt and they are prone to failure.

In the article Ralph O'Quinn did in RodMaker on repairing ferrules he stated something about spigot ferrules not really being suitable especially on fine diameter rods.

Posted by: Frank Thramer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 18, 2002 10:30PM

Quality multi piece rods seem very good no matter what type ferrules they have. But I would rate the best rods with tip over butt ferrules as being better than the best rods with spigot ferrules. I have had less trouble with wear and tips coming off and a better almost one piece feel with the really good tip over butt types. That is just my experience in some 30 years of fishing multi piece rods.

Posted by: David Henney Dave's Rods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: April 19, 2002 01:32AM

The old design of spigot ferrules did not work to good, but the new design spigot ferrule system that Hal Bacon designed on the Eastbranch rods works very well, and on the new Fisher rods works very well also.. I have done test on all the joints of spigots and the tip over butt system and I dont see any differences, they all have the same flat spots.. The trick to keep sections together is screw the top section on about 1/4 turn to allign guides, same way with tip over butt rods.. I have seen alot of rods come apart out fishing and it doesnt matter what ferrule system they are useing.. Do that 1/4 turn and you will not have any more problems with the sections comeing apart.. Thanks Dave's Rods

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: April 19, 2002 02:58AM

If we are to consider the many dozens of spigot ferrules that I have repaired/rebuilt -- it doesn't say very much for the durability of the design. They are especially bad on the tip sections. Recently I repaired ---rather re-built a fisher tip section on a 5 piece rod wherein the ferrule had a piece of .045 drill rod imbedded in its center. This was probably the mandrell that the ferrule was wrapped on, and they just left it in. A very dumb piece of engineering. Steel that hard simply will not withstand the flexure/fatigue of a fly rod tip section. Once the steel fatigued and broke, the graphite ferrule was very short lived. A practically new rod too. I rebuilt the ferrule into a tip over type and the rod is better than new. I fail to see any improvement in the new design. The only reason that spigot ferrules are used at all is because they are cheap and easy to make. They do not have the flexure properties of an external ferrule, and are a total failure on tip sections where the ferrule is so much smaller in diameter than the rod.
Ralph

Posted by: David Henney Dave's Rods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: April 19, 2002 04:52AM

I agree Ralph the new design will be out soon. How many Eastbranch rods have you had to fix?? Hal has improved the design of the Spigots but, he has not rolled any new Fisher blanks yet, so you are fixing old design rods, not new.. The old design Fishers, the spigot had to be sanded down smaller than the tip section, if you can slide the spigot up through the bottom side without doing a bunch of sanding then they will hold up.. Ralph since I started selling Fisher blanks a few people have been sending me broken rods to fix , and most of them just had a single spigot, I put graphite inside of graphite, about 3 or 4 on butts and mid and tips I put 2..

I also saw a Scott add in a Magazine and their ad showed the same way how I do Spigots..

Posted by: Neil Buchler (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 21, 2002 04:50PM

Dave
I thought that Fisher and Eastbranch were out of business??? May I ask where you have gotten any newly manufactured Fisher blanks?
Just curious
NeilB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster