I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Leather on handles
Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 08:13PM

Anyone tried using leather for a grip - leather braided as used on bullwhips? Wondering how durable it'd be and what type of finish (if any) should be applied to the leather.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Leather on handles
Posted by: Sam Stoner (65.54.154.---)
Date: August 02, 2005 09:21PM

There are some very creative minds that frequent this board; I'm not one of them. I've often thought about using leather. I think the right leather applied the right way could be extremely attractive. However, I've never come up with an application that I think would last beyond its' first trip to the river. There are few times that I fish that most everything doesn't get wet. I wade a lot or fish from a canoe. Also, I am excellent at making it rain. I have friends that invite me to go fishing when we're in the grips of a drought just so that the water tables rise. If I show up with fishing gear the rain clouds won't be far behind.

Water is is one of leather's worst enemies and there aren't too many ways of completely shielding it from moisture without destroying its' attactiveness. The one thing that I'm in the middle of that I hope yields success is this: I've applied a layer of very thin snakeskin leather over an acrylic fly reel seat and then sealed it in with several thin coats of LS Supreme epoxy. My thinking is that the acrylic won't let moisture seep in on the underside of the leather as would be the case with wood or other porous materials. I also was certain to let the LS supreme extent beyond the edge of the leather to completely seal moisture out - the same way that you should allow your epoxy to extend slightly beyond the edge of your wraps for the same reason. It looks good but it needs several good soakings and dryings before I can evaluate how it may hold up over time.

Maybe you or someone can expand on my idea or better yet, someone may already have done it.

Posted by: John Dow (---.215.252.64.snet.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 09:55PM

[www.fishingphotos.net]
Here's a link to a photo of some VERY nice leather grips.
John
[www.fishingphotos.net]

Got Fish ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2005 10:04PM by John Dow.

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 11:37PM

Those pictures on Fishingphotos.net are very nice. The handle covering I was considering is braided strips over the rear grip. From looking at some pictures on the web of Bullwhips it looks like they could be woven over either cork or wood. It may well be a rod that needs some sort of special care, but... think I'll give it a shot.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: August 03, 2005 09:40AM

I have used real leather for the fore grip on off shore rods and it stretches when wet and becomes loose. Use synthetic leather or the material they wrap tennis racket grips with. You can cut up the "leather" steering wheel covers and it works well as it is synthetic. Back in the early 90's I bought a half a steer hide [90.00] at a leather store to make my own strips and still have most of it. Go to a sporting goods store and buy the replacement grips for tennis rackets is your best bet. Three to a pack for about 5.00. Jesse

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.189.55.---)
Date: August 03, 2005 12:16PM

You can buy the leather grip material that is used on golf clubs. You can get real leather or a synthetic, it is available in most golf club repair shops, is relatively inexpensive and water will not be a problem. Golfers have been playing in the rain with leather grips for a couple of hundred years.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 03, 2005 01:44PM

Could the leather be coated with some thing like Tru Oil ?

Thinking Outside the Box
Posted by: Tom Doyle (172.134.155.---)
Date: August 03, 2005 03:14PM

Go to Google and enter "Waterproofing Leather." You will get 197,000 hits. Have fun. (Actually, this is better for a wintertime activity, I'm pretty busy fishing right now.)

Re: Thinking Outside the Box
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 03, 2005 03:26PM

I just thought I would ask, It's 100 with the heat index here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster