I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9 ft 8 wt for the Kenai?
Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (204.73.103.---)
Date: August 02, 2005 06:53PM

I want to build a fly rod as a gift for a friend of mine. He fishes the Kenai for salmon and trout 2 or 3 or three times each year. He can spend all day flippin for reds when they're running. When he fishes trout he uses a bobber an 8 lbs. tippet and a bead. He is not an accomplished fly fisherman, but he is the most determined fisherman I have ever seen. The blank needs to be durable as he will not be gentle with it. I would like a good quality blank and was thinking either a 2 or 4 piece Graphite USA or a CTS. I would appreciate any suggestions as to blanks and components.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9 ft 8 wt for the Kenai?
Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 08:59PM

Dan Craft FT 4 piece 8 weight would be one good choice. Very tough blanks, with lots of lifting power.

Posted by: Dewey Linski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 03, 2005 08:09PM

Forget the Dan Craft blank ,go with the Graphite USA DHX 908 inthe three piece, one of the toughest rods I have ever fished with in my life great blank ! Fast action feels great in the hand. you will love this rod! Dewey Linski

Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: August 04, 2005 02:43AM

Jim,

I think you will find the FT blanks will stand up to any blank for durability and speed and at a much easier price!

Dan Craf
Dan Craft Enterprises

Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: August 04, 2005 02:43AM

Jim,

I think you will find the FT blanks will stand up to any blank for durability and speed and at a much easier price!

Dan Craft
Dan Craft Enterprises

Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: August 04, 2005 12:00PM

The FT 1008-4 is the best Alaskan flyrod I've used to date. Truly awesome and very versitile rod. When I finally broke mine (lots of big fish), I found myself dragging around three rods to replace it. Just got it fixed thanks to Dan, and I'm itching for the silvers to start showing up! Excellent service!! Lots of power and casts great (whole line...no problem, in close....no problem, spey casts....no problem). Try 'em and you'll love 'em.

Ray,
Juneau, AK

Posted by: martin_walker (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: August 04, 2005 12:17PM

I have used the Dan Craft FT 10ft 7 and 8wts in Argentina for sea run browns. They are both excellent blanks and value for money. A search of this forum illustrates the high regard in which the FT blanks are held.

Martin, Brisbane, Ca

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.org)
Date: August 04, 2005 12:58PM

My 908-4 FT cleared 125' of WF9F 40+ Airflo, 10' of leader, and 10' of backing two nights ago in the dark with a Clouser on the end. Not joking. I have to give credit to the product here...I'm an OK caster but would be surprised if I could do that with many other blanks...

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster