I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fly Rod Loading
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: August 02, 2005 12:51PM

Last year I built two 7'9" three weight fly rods, different manufacturers. I knew the CCS data for the blanks, both of which according to CCS data were more like four weights. Both were fitted with REC Recoil light weight snake guides. I have fished both rods using a double taper three weight line, on small streams. As predicted by the CCS data, neither loads particularly well at less than 30 feet. I can make the rods cast the line, but I'm required to think about my casting rather than just cast the rod.

My question centers around the total weight that loads the rod, the line weight in motion and the guides, thread and epoxy fixed to the blank. With regard to loadng the rod (causing it flex more during casting) would I have benefitted from using heavier guides on these rods? Would heavier guides change the perception of action (not the action angle)? Would I feel that the rod is loading better?

Thanks,
Jeff Shafer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Loading
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.69.159.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 01:02PM

If the CCS data tells you it's a 4 wt. Try 4wt line on it. I had several SCIV 5 wts St Croix's and found I liked them better with a 6 line on them. Maybe a friend has the line you could try it.
Leave the guides and just try the line. Sounds like the line is too light to load the rods at 30 ft.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2005 01:09PM by bill boettcher.

Date: August 02, 2005 01:11PM

Thank you Bill. I'm sure that would help load the rod better. What I'm after though is the delicate presentation that the DT three weight line offers. Often I'm on smaller streams fishing small flies and would like to stay with the three weight line.

Jeff

Date: August 02, 2005 01:15PM

Thanks David,
I've been fishing a DT four weight on my 863-4 DanCraft FT and really love it. I will be building the 904-4 soon and plan to use it with a double taper five weight on medium sized trout streams.

Jeff

Date: August 02, 2005 01:24PM

I would think then you need a " true " 3 wt rod. Some thing with numbers in the middle to high 2's
You have nice guides on them. You should be getting good performance, but maybe only with a 4 wt line on them.
Got any friends that want a 4 wt rod?? Your chance to build the 3 wt you want

Date: August 02, 2005 01:26PM

Now I am confused ??? Thought you wanted a 3 WT??????

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 01:29PM

Jeff--I built a custom Dan Craft Sig V 8943 recently for a fellow who really likes a smooth, full feel (he's been hooked on Scott G's for years, if that gives you an idea!). I used Forecast ceramic (TiCh) guides and actually added one guide instead of going for the bare minimum. The result was it loads with 4wt line as nice or nicer than my partner's who uses 5wt on his with H&H standoff wire guides, and has a wonderfully smooth action in the stroke while not being overweighted or rebounding on the unload.

So yes, you can make the rod feel like it's loading "differently" by using different guides and more or less of them. I do this with the 9' FT's as well by limiting myself to 4 guides on the tip to keep wieght to an absolute minimum up there as the tip is so soft already. I like the action much, much better than when I put 5 on the tip.

Hope this was somewhat helpful at least! :)

Date: August 02, 2005 01:45PM

You could also put ceramics on which will be a little heaver

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 02, 2005 01:47PM

The CCS does not designate any rod as a "4-weight," or any other line weight rod for that matter. In fact, there is no such thing as "4-weight" rod, other than whatever subjective label the manufacturer wishes to put on there. As of yet, no one has ever devised any standard or power rating for what constitutes a 4-weight (or any other weight) rod. But depending on what the ERN figure is, you can tell what line is going to best load the rod at the distance you require. Sounds like you're on to that already.

Okay, so you don't have quite enough weight there to load the rod at those short distances. Yes, adding more weight in the form of guides, wraps, finish, etc, would help you load the rod with that particular line, but remember, the rod would then have to recover that weight as well. This means that it would react more slowly, oscillate longer after the cast, have a balance point nearer the tip, etc. In other words, you'd have to undermine the overall performance of the rod to achieve what you're after in the way you're after it.

Why not just move up a line size? The difference between a 3 and a 4 is minimal, and how delecate your presentation is has as much or more to do with your casting than is does with line size. You're in a bit of a corner with that rod if you want to use a 3-weight line on it and get the loading you desire. You can move up a line weight, cast with more "authority," overweight the rod with heavier components, or just build a rod more suited to the line you want to use. The first is the easiest and quickest, the latter is probably best. I really wouldn't consider the middle option. If you want to see what it would be like, take some fly tying lead wire and wrap it neatly around your rod near the tip. Now go back out and try it.

Date: August 02, 2005 01:56PM

Thank you Tom. I was trying to tell him that

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: August 02, 2005 02:29PM

If you really want a 7'9" 3 weight, try the Pac Bay Tradition. The ERN is 2.97. I've built two of them, one with ceramic guides and the other without and both will cast a 3 weight Rio Pocketwater line anywhere from 15-30' without thinking a whole lot about the casting stroke.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 02:41PM

Tom is right about the presentation being more of a problem than one line size. Your choice of leaders will be more critical than the difference between a three and four weight line in achieving the presentation you desire. I recently built on a blank that was sold as a 7' G Loomis 3# IMX and when testing it for the CC data it has an ERN that meets the the data for a four weight line. Like Bill, the last St Croix SCIV 5# I built on CC"s with a ERN begging for a 6# line. Rather than load or manipulate a blank in an attempt to fit a certain line weight catergory I would prefer to start with one that meets the ERN requirements for the line I wish to use. It is my belief that you will end up with a more versatile rod by doing so.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 02:43PM

This is good advice from Gerry!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: August 02, 2005 03:15PM

Well, it would be easy enough to try just adding a little weight. Use some lead tape. My guess is that you won't like the final result. I don't really know why. I have cast heavy, light line rods (bamboo) that felt fine, but when I have tried adding weight to a graphite rod I did not think I got the same feel. On problem is that the 3 wt line has a lot of air resistance and you can't just "lob it out there). I have to acutally cast it with a little line speed which the weight on the rod prevents or makes more difficult.

This is the reason for the CC system to start with. To be able to check a blank and predict how it will cast with a particular line. Like Bill said, I think you need to find a blank that comes out to a light 3 wt when you CC it. Took me a while to fully comprehend (okay, to partially comprehend) the system and how to use it. But it has save me from building several what would have been mistakes after I started using it.

Been a while since I looked at Steve's posted list of blanks. But that would be a good place to start. I have a feeling it is relatively hard to make a inexpensive, good, 3 wt blank. Probably a lot of design work to get it right. And not enough sales potential to get the costs back. Plus risk of breaking it, since it will be heavily loaded playing a large fish and casting long distances.

I am building a 2/3 wt Diamondback from an old Classic Trout blank and I test cast it with a 4 wt. Fortunately the 4 wt seems to overload a bit with 30 feet out, so I think I am going to like it with a 3. Wind blows where I fish, so I will carry a 3 wt and a 4 st line most of the time to fit the conditions.

Posted by: D. Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: August 02, 2005 03:24PM

I agree with what has been said before, don't hesitate to use a 4 weight line as the presentation difference is not much at all vs. a 3 wt. Now if you can't live with that mis-matched line and rod, ha, then go out and buy a Rio Grand line or an SA GPX rated 3 wt line as both of these lines are "designed for today's higher modulous graphite rods" and have a little more weight in the front end than the standard 3 wt line, wink wink, in other words they are more similar in weight to the standard 4wt.. I don't like adding weight to the rod itself as it can ruin the performance especially in such a light rod but that's just me.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: August 02, 2005 03:29PM

I'm not sure what the definition of a "good" blank is, but I've built both Pac Bay Tradition and Forecast 7'9" 3 weights, and both test at 2.97 ERN. Both blanks fit my definition of inexpensive and both fit my definition of good. The only difference for me was the color, I preferred the burgundy.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: August 02, 2005 04:22PM

I might add that you can indeed "load" the rod more with a different line design. A triangle taper or WF rated as a 3 weight might do the trick. Intermediate lines also seem heavier, perhaps because of the water haul effect. Of course you could switch to a oiled silk fly line and a furled leader and do it all, even if the silk is a true 4 weight. You might try Cortland's Sylk in a WF3F or 4 . All this said, I like 1 weight rods for your application.

Date: August 02, 2005 04:35PM

Thanks Guys,

Even with the CCS data available to me I didn't protect myself, and built on blanks that I shouldn't have. The suggestions that I buy the right blank the first time were heard loud and clear. Just thought that fooling with the mechanics of the existing rods might help take care of the problem but it sounds like that's the least attractive option. I will give the obvious a try, a four weight line, and get over the desire to present a three weight.

Or build more short three weight rods.........

Thanks again

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.3.154.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 04:57PM

Like I asked before got some friends to sell them to ?? LOL --- @#$%&?

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: August 02, 2005 05:40PM

Jeff do try a furled leader. A fellow named Quigley sells them from California. Put on a 7 foot furled leader and add 5 feet of 6x. It will land softly, even with your 4 weight line.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster