I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger Eye blanks
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 12:06AM

Has anyone tried one of these. I am building a rod for fun and I like trying new blank colors so I can experiment with thread colors. One of my kids will probrobly end up with it. Thanks Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger Eye blanks
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 12:16AM

Hi Tom,
I built a 6' ultralight spinning rod using
a tiger-eye blank I bought on @#$%& and
so far I'm very happy with it!
Got more than a few compliments!

Good Luck and Smooooth Wraps!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mike Monsos (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 12:53AM

I built a Tiger Eye 6' 2 piece 2/3wt fly rod and am very happy with the results and action on the water. A great rod for small flies and water with a very nice feel.
Mike

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 01:19AM

The first rod I built was on a Tiger Eye 6'6" medium weight spinning blank. It is a very sweet casting moderate action rod. I''d use Tiger Eye blanks again if the need arises. Great looking blanks at a reasonable price. Nice performance unless you want a very fast action. They seem comparable to Forecast blanks but with a beautiful brown coloration. I might have to try a fly blank at some point.
Dave

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.145.68.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 06:31AM

They are execellent blanks... I have built and sold on most all of the sizes,, and not one complaint !!!! The fly rods have been compared to (and that they were better than) G. Loomis and St Croix by more than one of my customers.

Tight lines & smokin' drags

Art

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: August 02, 2005 11:02AM

Have have built 2 Tiger eye fly rods....a 9' 5wt and an 8 wt. They are both great rods....also very beautiful in the sunlight. They are wonderful to cast and have fairly soft tip but still a lot of power and backbone. I did the 8 weight with a light brown/almost gold gudbrod thread w black & metallic gold and not CP........looks fantastic on this blank.

For the money I'm not sure you can find a better blank.

I recommend Schneider's rods...shipped my Tiger eye blank on the same day I ordered it...they are in the sponsors on the left.

Posted by: Duane G. Jenkins (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2005 01:44PM

I have built on a couple dozen of these blanks. The fly blanks 7wt & above are a little on the heavy side. If you want a nice 7' 6" 2/3wt with a soft action, use the light action spinning blank. It's my favorite rod for small stream trout and bluegills. I built 4 others like it for friends and they love them. Great blanks at a great price.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.69.159.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 01:58PM

I would say they are similar to the Fenwick rods.

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 04:10PM

Thanks for your input gentlemen. I think I'll try one out.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: August 03, 2005 04:23PM

I sell the Tiger Eye blanks and I build on them for personal use and for sale to clients. I have had excellent results with these blanks, both fly rods and spinning rods. I had a client stop in the store this morning to tell me how happy they are with their new rod and how well it fished over the weekend.

Wish I had time to go fishing myself.

Joe

Joe Douglas

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster