I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

loop to loop problem
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 02:04PM

I want to use Titanium Frame ,SIC rings for a for a spey rod. I'm thinking of using 8's as running guides but am concerned with the loop to loop connections of the spey line.If I use 10's I'll end up witha 8 ring size tip ,anyway.Is an 8 size guide large enough for the loop to loop connection? The other alternative is to use wire guides that I prefer not to use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: loop to loop problem
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 02:15PM

Why not just use 10's and use a #10 tip top as well. They make SIC Ti frames tops in the TPST series. You might have to build up the tip a bit with thread, but that's still the easiest solution. Don't be confined by what the factories offer, make stuff work! You're a custom builder!

For all I know size 8's will work okay, but if you need to use 10's you sure can.

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: August 01, 2005 03:35PM

Bill, maybe you could improve the loops of the fly line. Usually they are quite clumsy and bulky straight from the pack. If the fly line is made on a braided core you can remake the loops a lot neater. Hope you can make something out of the link - enjoy Finnish! ;)

[www.perhokalastajat.net]

Posted by: Eijiro Kawada (---.thenewstribune.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 04:47PM

I'm no expert, but I would like to tell you about my experience because I just made a fatal novice mistake. I put running guides and a top on my latest spey rod that are too small for the loop-to-loop I made myself by cutting a Windcutter and converting it to a shooting head. I took the rod out for the first time yesterday, and I found out I had to really force the connection through the guides.
I'll be stripping everything off this rod and putting larger guides and a tip on this week.
My recommendation: Whatever the guide (tip top) size you pick, run the fattest part of your line (loop-to-loop or whatever that may be) through the ring before you wrap the guides and make sure that's big enough. I know I will.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (69.139.158.---)
Date: August 02, 2005 01:50AM

ma en tie-- suomen kieli ei oo niin vaikea...

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kyamk.fi)
Date: August 02, 2005 03:27AM

Scott Kinney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ma en tie-- suomen kieli ei oo niin vaikea...
>

LOL! :D You are on the right track Scott! :D ;)

Posted by: Scott Kinney (69.139.158.---)
Date: August 02, 2005 04:22AM

ma yritan, mut taalla Virginia:ssa ei oo paljon suomalaisia...

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kyamk.fi)
Date: August 02, 2005 07:23AM

Hyvä hyvä! :D Sorry for the OT.

Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.ms.tut.fi)
Date: August 02, 2005 08:15AM

Bill,
you don't have to learn finnish to be able to do those loops. I posted the instructions on another board sometime ago:
[www.sexyloops.co.uk];
Cheers,
Sakari

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster