I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The big leap into the deep abyss
Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.225.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 10:43AM

After lurking on this board for awhile and researching rod components to the point of cluttering my brain, I've committed the final act of independence from rod makers and there appears to be no turning back.
I've started on the journey to make rods that make me happy and not what someone else thinks will work for me.
It all began when I was trying to duplicate a rod that served me well out on the west coast when I would go sturgeon fishing. I bought a custom rod from an old timer who wrapped early Sabre blanks for stripers and sturgeon.
Then I moved to Florida and started fishing offshore. Everyone was going with heavy bottom gear. My friend Shawn started me going on lighter tackle for mutton snappers and mangroves. This is when I got out the old Sabre and used it for several sessions with great success. The problem I had with this rod was that the reel seat was way too high up on the blank to fish comfortably. The action on the blank was fantastic but it was tiresome to crank with the reel so far up the blank. I found a person to wrap a rod for me but something was lost in communication and I was left a little disappointed with the final result.
Thus I have arrived at this point: I have now amassed the components to put together some sweet little Calstar 196L's with Avet reels and the reel seat placed where it fits MY ARMS !!! and my body along with grips that fit my hands ( I have long arms and big paws).
The bottom line here is: So far, I have gotten one heck of an enormous feeling of satisfaction from this. Yes, there are still some unanswered questions floating around in my mind but for the most part there are a lot of people that are willing to give the benefit of their experience and knowlege. The books that I have read have been great for establishing guidelines and techniques but I enjoy solving how to make it work for me. I guess that's what makes it an art.
I will post a picture when the process is complete.

Curtis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The big leap into the deep abyss
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 10:57AM

Hmmmm! Sounds like you are building a custom rod! Congratulations! Do you have an appointment with a shrink as yet. Medication will be forthcoming.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.3.38.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 11:33AM

The big white pills work fine

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.150.213.151.ip.alltel.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 12:17PM

It's funny how easily you can get hooked on this. I started back in the winter, when I decided to fix the handle on my old Fenwick worm rod. The cork had long since fallen apart, and I had duct tape on the handle. Went to BPS and bought some of the grip tape. As I was putting it on, I thought " this is not gonna look too good, maybe I should just replace the cork." Then, I noticed that the guides were all bent up, so why not replace them too. Now, I am in the process of putting up a website, have already sold three rods, and maybe will come up with a nice way to ease into retirement.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 02:58PM

Sure didn't take you long to start hallucinating, did it? Jesse

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 04:42PM

Welcome to the Sanitarium. This does become a major illness.

Posted by: dave schaub (12.179.236.---)
Date: August 01, 2005 05:40PM

There will be short periods when you will appear to be normal to almost everyone, but we know you are just thinking about that next project and being quiet. If you take the little red balls out of the capsule and just take them, you will see the psychedelic colors and how to put them together in combination that others might like. Never take the little yellow pills they give you with the large white one or you will go off into Bill Stevens land and everything will be Purple and Gold!! Geaux Tigers!
The most fun is when you build something for someone else and they have to pry it out of your hands and replace it with cash or else they cant have it because you want it and you made it and if they want one let them make it themselves and then you remember that they did ask you nicely and you can always make one for yourself and what the heck...........it is your brother and he does owe you for all the cr_p you took as a kid from him and the slight overcharge is just to get even and then again he will never know that the $500 rod you sold him only cost you $87.47 to build...Ha, Ha, Ha........Life can be good as a custom builder, if you know where the white rabbit lives............is this a dream? Naaa, just another flashback from the '60's.........

Posted by: dave schaub (12.179.236.---)
Date: August 01, 2005 05:40PM

There will be short periods when you will appear to be normal to almost everyone, but we know you are just thinking about that next project and being quiet. If you take the little red balls out of the capsule and just take them, you will see the psychedelic colors and how to put them together in combination that others might like. Never take the little yellow pills they give you with the large white one or you will go off into Bill Stevens land and everything will be Purple and Gold!! Geaux Tigers!
The most fun is when you build something for someone else and they have to pry it out of your hands and replace it with cash or else they cant have it because you want it and you made it and if they want one let them make it themselves and then you remember that they did ask you nicely and you can always make one for yourself and what the heck...........it is your brother and he does owe you for all the cr_p you took as a kid from him and the slight overcharge is just to get even and then again he will never know that the $500 rod you sold him only cost you $87.47 to build...Ha, Ha, Ha........Life can be good as a custom builder, if you know where the white rabbit lives............is this a dream? Naaa, just another flashback from the '60's.........

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 08:19PM

Welcome from those of us near the BOTTOM!!! There is nothing like the feeling you get after catching your first big Fish on a Rod YOU built! Second rod I put together Maiden trip, hooked and landed a 60# 47" Black Drum fish off the beach here in NJ AWESOME!!

Posted by: John Dow (---.213.252.64.snet.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 08:42PM

Just wait .......... it gets worse , you'll be finding yourself in craft stores and sewing shops lurking around for thread and little rings for checks . The worst part is when they get to know your first name , then you know your in trouble ............ Have a good time , it's very rewarding . John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Brion Kallinen (---.702communications.com)
Date: August 02, 2005 11:51PM

You don't have to be crazy to this...but it helps. I started 10 months ago and so far have made 31 rods. I Love it. You might be a rod builder if; your nightime reading is componant catalogs.
The above mentioned ; you go to a craft store and they know your name.
You ask your wife 'do these colours match?' and your not refering to your clothes.
You get up at 3 am to work on a rod...and it's already done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster