I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Musky rod split grip?
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: August 01, 2005 10:07AM

I'm getting ready to build a couple musky rods on blanks I got from Andy Dear - wow, what a deal, and what a great guy to work with!!! Anyways I have a couple questions for the musky rod builders:

I have not heard much about split grips on musky rods - is this an area where split grips aren't all that good? I'm thinking of a split grip with a 2-3" long bottom end, 6-8" gap, then 4-5" grips around the reelseat (mount reelseat about 14" from butt. Does this sound like a good option? Any thoughts/comments/experience is GREATLY appreciated!!! Incidentally, I am planning on wrapping both as simple spirals.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Musky rod split grip?
Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 10:14AM

I did a muskie rod for a customer up your way and used an almost idetical set up to what you described. I used alternating rings of maple and walnut for the grip and foregrip. The customer loves it.

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 10:32AM

one thing i would recomend rich set it up without epoxy and see how it feels under your fore arm first . theres a chance it might not feel good when a 15lb plus fish is tearing into your arm...just a suggestion crabtree's customs

Date: August 01, 2005 11:05AM

Thanks guys - good idea Robert on the pre-epoxy test. I figure the length/shape of the butt grip will be dictated by that testing..... 15lb fish - I'm hoping for a 30+ lb fish :-)

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 02, 2005 07:59AM

I agree a 15# fish? Cripes one of the local lakes up here regularly gives up 50+ inch fish. I am thinking a 15#er would be around 36 inch.

Gotta think positive here:)

Posted by: Gregory D. Monbleau (---.newhav01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 10:41AM

Doing a split grip is not a problem. All my musky rods have them and feel quite comfortable. The best thing though is the Spiral Wrap. You will notice a huge difference pulling in those 50" girls. Good luck!

Date: August 02, 2005 12:42PM

Thanks everybody for your replies - I've looked at some pics in the photo section - got some great ideas churning through my head :-) The blanks are the Allstars with the woven graphite - beautiful blanks, now I have to pic a thread/combo to go with it.

50" skis are not common around here, Wisconsin is more of a numbers state than a quality/size state - but they do exist. Average fish here is 36-44" A guy landed a 51 1/2" tiger musky around here a few weeks ago - what I wouldn't have given to tie into that fish!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster